17

Errend felt his insides flip with a feeling of tension he refused to acknowledge. The little girl before him was the spitting image of his friend. It was as if Zirco himself had come back as a young girl, violet eyes and everything.

The only actual difference was the shock white hair that Errend recognized as a gift from Inta's mother. A symbol of her family's once long ago blood connection to the royal families of the Nine Realms.

The pure silky white hair was a gift and curse that always seemed to skip one generation. And with it, Errend knew that this little girl would have the skills of sight even without the mutation that had been happening to so many of his people.

It would have made her an outcast back home, and he found himself oddly grateful she had been born on Earth even if it had been in captivity like a caged animal.

Her violet eyes held a depth far too deep for one of her age, and the knowledge and understanding behind her eyes almost broke his stoic visage. For a moment, he was scared for both her and everyone around at what knowledge she must already have gained in her short life.

All Errend seemed to be able to make his mouth do while staring into the endless violet abyss that was a young girl's eyes was to say "Hi."

The little girl's mouth twitched slightly, and a fondness touched her all too perceptive gaze.

"Hi, Errend. My name is Sardini. I am happy to see you too. Mommy will be too. Will you come?"

Errend was not surprised in the least that she seemed to know what he was thinking or feeling. Her grandmother had had some strange gifts of her own and seemed to know everything and everyone's secrets.

"Yes, Sardini. You lead. I will follow."

Somehow Errend felt his words had a deeper meaning than what they were being used for at this moment. He saw in Sardini's eyes a look of acceptance and understanding. She, too, knew these words would be fortuitous and hold a more significant meaning in the future to come.

If there was a future.

"Uh-hmm"

Errend was momentarily startled at the sound of a throat clearing. After turning to the sound, he remembered Aiya and Marvin were in the room with him.

Glancing over, he saw Aiya's one eyebrow raised with an expectant look on her face that she usually saved for Derek or Marvin.

Turning back to Sardini, he asked politely, "May my friends join us?"

Sardini's gaze fell on Aiya, and Errend saw something in the young girl's eyes soften, almost looking forlorn, or maybe sad? She read something in Aiya that moved her, touching her heart.

When Sardini's eyes glanced to Marvin, she openly smiled at him the way only innocent children can, and without realizing it, he smiled back. Marvin was a pure soul if Errend ever met one. He just wanted to save the world—a lofty goal for one man but a goal worth supporting.

Looking back to Errend, Sardini nodded then stepped to the side, indicating everyone should go into the hall.

Everyone got up and followed the little celestial-looking being into the pristine hallway. She skipped ahead of them, humming some kind of song Errend didn't know.

Sardini gave a slight wave to a guard standing in front of a door leading to a hall that was off-limits to visitors and chirped, "Hi Paul."

Without waiting for him to reply, she skipped on down the hall humming happily.

Errend noticed the guard's face looked a little stunned and slightly confused at the girl's hello. Errend surmised she had never spoken to Paul before until today.