I Think He Knows

"I think he knows his hands around a cold glassMake me wanna know that body like it's mine

Make me wanna know that body like it's mine."

A few years earlier

Avery nervously wiped her hands on her dress, looking up at the sky as she tried to find the courage to knock on the door in front of her. She was nervous about the conversation that was about to happen, it could go a million different ways. There was only one way she truly wanted it to go.

The door in front of her was pulled open, revealing a short red haired woman she knew well enough to hug as she greeted her.

"Hi, Nikki." She spoke sweetly, hoping the woman couldn't sense the nervousness in her voice. She could sense it, but Nikki didn't say a word - she figured it wasn't any of her business.

"Hi, sweetie. Come on in, Tom was so excited to see you! He has some great news to share! He's up in his room." She informed the young adult, who nodded and shot her a smile that didn't quite make it's way to her eyes before taking off her shoes and running up the stairs. Nikki frowned to herself, wondering what was happing to the girl.

Avery stood once again in front of a closed door, playing with her fingers as she rehearsed her speech one more time. She took a deep breath, inhale - exhale. Then she raised her fist and knocked on the door. Once she heard her boyfriend's voice, she turned the knob and stepped inside the bedroom she knew like the back of her hand.

"Hi, baby!" Tom greeted her happily as he stood from his desk and rushed over to greet her. He kissed her cheek then pushed his lips against hers, savouring the taste he had missed from not seeing her for a day or two. She relished the feeling of his lips against hers, like it was the first and the last time she'd ever feel like. Avery wanted to remember this exact feeling - the way it made her feel alive.

Tom pulled away slowly, her face resting gently between his soft and strong hands, "Are you okay?" He had a feeling she wasn't doing too well. For one, she usually ran in his bedroom and jumped on his bed whilst greeting him happily. Her energy was usually much higher than this and it worried her - something was up.

She bit her bottom lip when she felt it quiver, taking in a deep breath through her nose. Tom watched her facial expression change but he waited, he waited until she was ready to actually tell him what was up. His hands went down to her shoulders and rubbed them gently.

Avery huffed out, "I don't know." As soon as she let her bottom lip go, her chin quivered and a tear escaped her eye. "Tom, we have to talk." Her voice was low and her eyes were sad. He was worried. Tom brought her to his bed where they sat side by side, his arms wrapped around her waist.