London Boy

"Babes, don't threaten me with a good time

"Babes, don't threaten me with a good time."

"He must be a very proud father. Especially considering he had absolutely nothing to do with raising her." Avery's mother spoke, the usual dose of venom lacing her words. Unknown to Tom, the woman was watching his every move - wishing for a reaction on his part.

Unfortunately, she got one. Tom froze in his steps, eyes wide open as he turned around. The little girl in his arms didn't seem that bothered by the comment, making Tom believe she didn't really understand it. Tom glared at the woman, silently warning her to stop talking.

She didn't really get the message though.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize we weren't talking about it." She said, unapologetically as she looked between Tom and the surprised teacher. Victoria let out a fake surprised gasp, resting her hand against her chest. "Let me explain, Miss. You see, Tom here abandoned my pregnant daughter four years ago to go pursue his career-"

"Victoria." Tom snapped, his teeth gritted as he tried to control his reaction. He didn't want to scare the little girl that was still cradled in his arms. "Just go. We'll see you in a week."

"Thank you again," He thanked the teacher again, completely ignoring Victoria and Henry before walking away. Tom wasn't going to give her the satisfaction of speaking badly of him again.

He walked to his car, carefully putting Rosie in her car seat. He let her buckle herself in, supervising to make sure it was done right. Tom put her bag besides her and got in himself. He started up the car, listening as she instantly started babbling about her day.

Once they got home, the little girl was only getting to the after lunch part of her story. Her storytelling, which wasn't usually that long, reminded Tom of her mother. Avery used to babble about random things whenever she was nervous or had something to ask. Which then lead Tom to wonder if she understood more than she was letting on and just wasn't sure how to ask.

Tom let her talk all she wanted, figuring she would end up speaking up if there was something bothering her. After all, she usually felt comfortable around him.

And he was right.

"Are you really my daddy?" She suddenly asked, taking Tom by surprise because the last thing he heard coming out of her mouth was about some girl named Brittany who stole her place next to her new friend Chase. Tom's eyes widened as he glanced at her. They were sitting side by side on the floor in front of the coffee table. They decided to do some drawings before Avery got home, so Tom put on a Disney movie and they got to work.

She kept drawing, never looking up at him. He recovered quickly, deciding that there was no escaping the question now.

"I am." He answered, his voice low like he didn't want to drop the truth on her shoulders. Tom wished Avery would've been there to have this talk with them, but he figured she would understand. If the little girl wanted to know now, it was her right. And maybe it was best if she had this talk directly with him, maybe it would be less hard to digest this way.