Soon You'll Get Better

"In the doctor's office lightening, I didn't tell you I was scared

"In the doctor's office lightening, I didn't tell you I was scared."

A few years earlier

Avery walked into the doctor's office, holding Tom's hand tightly in her own. He rubbed his thumb against the back of her hand, hoping the small action would be enough to sooth her. It helped.

Today was the day they got to know if their baby was healthy. For some reason Tom didn't understand, Avery had convinced herself that their baby wouldn't be. Maybe he'd have a third eye or a hand missing. Which would be okay with them, but she wanted their baby to be okay. So she was scared. And Tom knew, he did his best to help calm her nerves but her mind had a plan of its own.

They walked to room 4 together, hand in hand. Tom helped her get on the hospital bed and sat on the chair right next to it - never dropping her hand. Her face was pale and he sighed, knowing the nerves were taking over her.

"Avery, darling, everything is going to be completely fine. We're going to have a healthy and happy baby, stop trying to convince yourself otherwise." He spoke, a small smile on his lips as he looked at her with admiration. She was such a strong woman and he knew that it must be hard on her, not everyone would be able to take on this great responsibility at only 20 years old.

"But what if-" She was cut off by the doctor walking in the office, instantly turning her head to look at her. The sweet lady smiled and greeted them happily.

"How are the parents doing?" She asked, taking a seat on the other side of Avery and putting on her gloves.

"A little anxious, I'd say." Tom spoke for the both of them, squeezing his girlfriend's hand.

"That's totally normal. This is your first appointment so it's going to feel like that, but next time it'll be a little less nerve recking, I promise." She reassured them, explaining how they would proceed before putting the cold gel on Avery's stomach. Tom chuckling as he noticed Avery grimacing, earning himself a playful glare from his girlfriend. He kissed her hand and looked up at the ultrasound.

"Let's see how baby is doing now." The doctor announced, checking everything she needed to see and filling out different forms.

"Seems to me like baby is healthy, it's hard to tell so early on if it's developing like it should. But considering your health and what I can see from this ultrasound, you should have a healthy baby." The doctor reassured them, Avery almost bursting into tears at the news.

She talked to them about a few more things as Tom helped Avery clean up her belly, giving tips and what not. The appointment seemed to have helped with Avery's anxiety, which Tom was grateful for.