Part 1

Warning: semi-graphic animal death

***

Twilight slipped his hands into the icy cold waters of the lake. He shuddered in glee and scooped out a small handful, splashing it on his face. "Hoo! Goddess, that is refreshing!"

To his side, Wind dipped his hands in too. He wasn't as eager was Twilight. He grimaced, and when he splashed his face, he said out loud, "Holy fucking shit, that's cold!"

Twilight laughed. "My goodness, letting yourself all out, aren't you?"

"You try censoring yourself. It's fucking impossible sometimes." He splashed his face again. "Okay, enough of that. I'm awake now."

It was early, the sun still rising slowly in the East. Fat dew droplets pebbled on grass blades and a light fog lingered around the lake. Besides a few birds singing off in the distance, the world around them was quiet. Twilight was a natural morning person. He was used to getting up before the sun rose to feed the animals and start on chores. Wind was surprisingly a morning person as well. Twilight thought for a young teen, Wind would enjoy the chance of sleeping in. But as an experienced sailor, he learned quickly not to squander daylight.

"What a beautiful morning," Twilight mused once he finished cleaning his teeth. "The air is crisp and sharp. I would love it if every morning was like this."

"It's too cold for me," said Wind. "I grew up on a tropical island. I like knowing I can go out during the coolest part of the day and still be comfortable in shorts and a shirt."

"That's fair. I would love to visit your Hyrule. I've never seen a tropical island... oh! Oh! Look at that!"

He pointed. Across the clear quiet lake, a gigantic buck walked out from the forest. The beast was magnificent. It's thick, twisting antlers had various flowered fauna wrapped around them like jewelry, giving him a more regal look. Its muscles were bulging with every step it took. It paused at the edge of the lake, its head tilted up in the growing sunlight, then it bent, taking in a well deserved drink.

"I've never seen one so big!" Wind said in awe.

"Shhh! Not so loud!" Twilight whispered to him. "We don't want to scare him off. What an incredible, majestic animal. You can tell by his horns it's an older male. I wonder if we stay long enough we can catch the sight of the pack-"

An arrow suddenly shot out of the forest, striking the buck clear in the neck. The force of the arrow had the buck stumbling to the side. It raised its head up, gave off a guttural wail, and then it slumped to the forest floor, dead.

A moment later Wild climbed out from his hidden spot in the bushes, his bow in hand.

Twilight rose to his feet. His fists trembled at his side. "Wind, go back to the camp. I need to have a conversation alone with our cook."

Wind didn't argue and took off. Once he was far enough not to eavesdrop, Twilight walked furiously towards Wild.

"What the hell was that?" He demanded loudly.

Wild placed one foot on the buck's neck. He grasped the arrow. He pulled. A gush of bright red blood followed, staining the grass below. "Morning," he said casually.

"Answer me! Why did you feel the need to kill this defenseless creature? For fun?"

"For food."

"We have enough food!"

"We could always use more."

"You should never take more than you need! It's selfish and a waste of life!"

Wild bent down, taking a carving knife out of his boot. "Are you going to help me butcher this meat or do you want to complain some more?"

Twilight reared back, his teeth gritting in irritation.

"Butcher it yourself!" He snapped, turning and walking back towards the camp.