Part 5

warning: vomit

***

"Ugh! What is that smell?"

Wind slapped a hand over his nose and mouth. His eyes began watering. "It smells like death!"

Twilight sniffed and he too recoiled, his face puckering. It was the smell of rotten eggs and burning ash. "It's tar," he said. "Everyone, watch your footing, we must be near a tar pit."

At Twilight's warning, the heroes immediately gathered close to the main road, looking around worryingly.

Wild leaned closer to Twilight and asked, "What's a tar pit?"

"Imagine a pond filled with black, bubbling, hot syrup," Twilight said. "Anything and everything that has the misfortune of falling into one will either drown or get stuck. It's a terrible way to go."

When he was a kid a tar pit unexpectedly bubbled up near the farm. It was about the size of a rain puddle. No one noticed it until one of the goats had climbed over the fencing, wandered over and fell in. Despite their best efforts to pull the goat out, Twilight's father decided it was more merciful to simply euthanize the goat. Twilight had nightmares for weeks, dreaming about getting stuck in the tar, screaming for help and being unable to wrench free. The nightmares didn't stop until the locals filled the pit with sand.

"If it's this terrible, then shouldn't we turn back?" Wild asked. "We have a horse to look out for."

"Epona is a war horse," Time said. "She can handle it."

Wild shrugged. "Hey, unless you want to drag a panicking, four hundred pound animal out of a pit, perhaps it'll be better if the horse goes back."

"She's not foolish enough to fall into one."

"I think you're over estimating how smart animals are."

Time turned to him, his mouth going thin. He came close, towering over Wild. At the sight everyone went silent. "Alright... I think we've all had enough of your attitude."

"My attitude?" Wild challenged back. If he was intimidated, he didn't show it. "I have legit reasons to send the horse back. If you hadn't noticed, our boots are already stained with this black shit. It's getting slippery. Do you want to risk your precious war horse breaking an ankle?"

"Hey now..." Twilight interjected and was immediately ignored by both of them.

"You speak as if you know what you're talking about," Time said. "You treat your opinions higher than those around you, you lash out in anger when the situation doesn't suit you, and you don't listen."

Wild sneered up at him. "You've been wanting to say that to me for a while, huh? What a great time and place for such a discussion."

Tensions were rising. Everything had ceased their trek to watch. Rarely had anyone spoke against Time, let alone insult him directly to his face. It was both impressive and horrifying to see. Just as it looked like it was about to get worse as Time's lip curled, Wind suddenly vomited. He was trying too hard to hold his breath against the stench of the tar, cupping a hand over his nose and mouth. When he was forced to take a breath, he gulped a lungful and retched.

"I'm sorry!" He gasped. He tried and failed to control himself. He fell to his hands and knees, gagging. Tears streamed down his face. "I'm sorry!"

Wild broke away from Time, not bothering giving the man a second glance, going to the young boy. He kneeled down next to Wind, placing a comforting hand on his back. "I can take him back. Get him some water, clean himself."

At this Time's face softened. The tension from his shoulders left and he sighed. "Put Wind on Epona. Come back when you're able."

Twilight was surprised by the compromise. He waited, expecting one last sarcastic quip from Wild, but his protege only nodded and helped Wind get to his feet, guiding him to the horse. Once Wind was settled on Epona, the three of them went back in the direction they came.

"Damn," Legend said. "I really thought you two were ready to fight there."

"We have bigger priorities," Time said. His gaze swept over Twilight as he said, "But rest assured our conversation isn't over."