Makoto Shiota: A Normal Person

My name is Makoto Shiota. I'm somewhat a person you'd classify as 'normal', or 'typical' person. I'm currently at the age of 16. I live in Tokyo with my sister. Our parents rarely ever come home, they both work for the Japanese Subjugation Force, or JSF, which helps in fighting all the monsters around Japan.

I wake up, feeling both ecstatic, and also tired. Today was the first day of school. I had chosen to enroll at the prestigious Tokyo Magic Academy, where magicians are nurtured and created. It's famous for the elite mages it creates, and the world's strongest mage, Kazuya Ishida, had studied there during his youth. 

"Nii-san! Time to wake up! It's the first day of school!"

That voice was from my younger sister. The bright, cheery Asahina. A blonde-haired, beautiful and outgoing girl, she's the perfect example of the class idol, with her top marks, she gets nearly perfect scores in every subject. She's quite popular in her class.

"Yeah, yeah, I'll be right there." I replied finally.

I lazily carried myself out of my room. And headed downstairs.

"Ah! Nii-san! Good morning!"

"Good morning Asahina."
I received a hug from that statement. I just remembered that Asahina is a huge brocon. Well, I personally don't mind. Having a sister who's always attached to you is pretty cool, even more so when the person in general is attractive.

Asahina usually does the cooking around the house, and I do all the other chores, which I'm quite fine with, since her cooking is delicious.

Today's breakfast was a simple toast and scrambled egg. I took one bite of the food, and was entranced by the egg's soft silky texture, and paired well with the toast.

After finishing my rather flavorful breakfast, I bid goodbye to my little sister, and headed towards my new school. 

Japan and the rest of the world had undergone major changes. Population had reached it's all time highest just this past year, with more than 10 billion people alive. Somewhere around the 23rd century, a group of famous scientists had discovered Astril, a metal found in Mars that has huge amounts of energy stored within it. Since then, Astril has become a widely used product; it has already been used as a substitute for electrical usage, and so, the average carbon footprint of a person has essentially lowered.

Recently, flying cities have also been a newfound invention. Magic from the Chosen Ones have been it's main source being Wind Magic that powers the engines and generators keeping the island in flight.

Magic is inherited through bloodlines, or directly given by a person that's not related to you. There are also rare occasions, where the person indirectly gets magic, as a result of contact with Astril, although that is quite rare.

Magic is divided into these different elements accordingly.

Major Elements

Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, Light, Dark.

Those are the main elements that a person usually awakens to.

Sub Elements

Lightning (From Fire)

Ice (From Water)

Nature (From Earth)

Space 
(Gravity, derived from Space)

Time

Few people awaken to 2 elements. 3 is even rarer, and awakening Space and Time is considered the rarest, with only 2 of the 7 Chosen Ones awakening it. So far, there have been no cases in which people awaken to 4 or more elements.