Chapter 1

Chapter 1

With Elijah in her arms, Anya ran as fast as she can and as far as her burning thighs and calves can bring her. Against the dead of the night and the terrifying silhouette of the tall trees, Anya rushed through the woods and the dead leaves.

Sounds of branches breaking, exhausted groans, and heavy breathing filled the woods. When she heard another faint explosion, it took all she had not to stop and turn back to return to her husband.

She glanced at Eli and she received a newfound determination. They will survive-- for themselves and for Lexus who was laying his life on the line for them. She swallowed hard and instead of running towards the road clearing, she decided to run to a secret hideout that has been sitting there for a few years now.

It was their secret playground with her best friend, Amalia, where they both would explore the occult. It was one of the best moments of their lives. There's a reason why they chose to move here. This is a property she inherited from her parents.

She scanned her surroundings and stopped behind a huge tree. This location is out of the way and their enemies need to be familiar with the terrain before they can catch up to them.

Anya used her feet to sweep off the leaves and a wooden cover can be seen. She crouched and lifted it up, and a narrow stairway leading underground appeared.

She cradled Elijah closer to her chest and slowly stepped on the stairs, careful not to make a sound. She then closed the entrance and blindly searched for the light switch on the wall.

The old, lightbulbs on the ceiling flickered and in a few seconds, became steady. When she reached the landing, Anya headed to the main area. The room was small, with a small wooden bed, a table with a wooden chair, a lightbulb to illuminate the place, and a small dresser on the right side of the wall.

Anya walked to the dresser and pulled a cottony-soft comforter and laid it on the bed. She reached for the plastic-covered pillow and opened it with one hand, then carefully laid his sleeping son on the makeshift bed. Elijah stirred and smacked his lips, and Anya burst into tears.

Her son should be sleeping in a comfortable crib, not in a dingy underground room. She bit her lip and took a deep breath. She can't break down now. Earlier, she felt someone following her, but it looks like she was able to lose them. The woods are unforgiving to strangers.

She shakily wiped her tears and started packing Elijah's things. She grabbed the duffel bag on the foot of the bed and reached for the dresser. She put ten bottles of pills which will be enough until the right time. The medicine was specifically created by Lexus and was especially distributed to families which has a similar condition to her son.

She put some onesies and bibs, Eli's name embroidered on the edges, and a few other essentials. Her gaze fixed on the picture frame on top of the dresser and she felt pain on the back of her throat, and a numbing pain crossed her chest.

The photograph was when Elijah was born. She was pale and exhausted, but her eyes were sparkling with joy, and Lexus was on her side, cradling their son, with tears on his eyes. That beautiful moment was captured by the camera, and she couldn't be more thankful. It may be their last picture as a complete family.

She blinked away her tears and put the frame inside the bag. At the very least, their little Eli will have something to remember them by. She reached for her neck and removed her necklace with a rose medallion. It's a family heirloom, and her son will need this in the future.