Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"Grandpops! Are my cookies alright?" Elijah bursts through the door of his grammie's home and heads to the kitchen where he can smell the sweet aroma of cookies and breakfast meal.

He saw his grandpops calmly sipping his coffee and reading the newspaper on the kitchen counter, and he breathed a sigh of relief when he saw his plate of cookies unharmed.

Elijah walked towards the kitchen aisle and picked up his cookies and glass of milk. Then, he dragged a chair underneath the table and sat across his grandpops. His grammie sat beside his grandpops, both of them chuckling at Eli.

Robert, his grandpops, folded the newspaper and smiled at Elijah. "Do I really need to threaten and bait you with cookies just so I can see my favorite boy?"

Robert faked sadness and Elijah gasped. Eli stood up from his seat and gave his grandpops a tight hug. "I'm sorry, grandpops. I was busy looking and applying for jobs that I wasn't able to come by," Eli apologized and Robert smiled a little.

He ruffled Elijah's hair and chuckled. "I'm just pulling your legs, boy. Your grammie told me that you have some good news to share. What is it?" Robert held his wife's hand and they fixed their attention to Elijah.

Remembering the good news, Elijah smiled and nodded. "I have an interview today! It's a high-end club in New York, and they needed another bartender. The security is tight, and the compensation is high. Because it's a membership-based club, you two don't have to worry about me. I'll be safe," Elijah added when he noticed how his grammie and grandpops wrinkled their brows and looked at each other worriedly.

Elijah learned about bartending from a friend he met a year ago. He was also the one who helped him with his escape from his foster family and was the one who taught him everything he needed to know.

At first, it was hard. Most of his knowledge came from the limited books his nanny was able to provide. She was the only thing that cared for Eli. She was the reason why Elijah did not get beaten black and blue because his nanny was the one receiving the beatings.

Elijah would die if he got subjected to such harsh punishments from the sadistic and cruel couple. Elijah did not learn of this until a year ago when he found his nanny's diary.

Elijah's foster parents were ruthless and evil. When they saw baby Elijah outside their home, their first thought was to sell him to the black market. Lany, one of the maids of the house, who became Elijah's nanny, took responsibility for Elijah because she knew how cruel her bosses were. In exchange for her bosses' kindness, Elijah would have to live in the basement, or the baby will be sold to degenerates and will live a hellish life.

Lany was horrified. Never in her life did she imagine someone who has a heart as dark as coal. Her bosses' were devil incarnate. When Lany caught a glimpse of Elijah's baby blues, she promised herself that she would do everything for the boy. She will do everything to keep him safe.

****

Elijah took a deep breath and straightened his blue shirt. He brushed his coffee-colored hair and smiled. Have confidence, Eli. You will get the job.

He stared at the huge establishment with modern architecture and can't help but gape in awe. The club screams elegance and luxury. He was already lucky that he was considered for an interview because the management is pretty strict when it comes to qualifications.

He's not sure how he was able to slip past through the stringent process but he knows not to question fate. His hand went on top of his chest and chewed his lips nervously as his heart thumped loudly. He can also feel his hands getting clammy with each step he took towards the entrance.