Chapter 8: Longing For Your Touch

"Ow!" Oliver let out a grunt as his back made contact with the dusty ground, his fighting stick slipping out of grip. "I thought you were gonna teach me how to fight." He strained out as he sat up, rubbing the back of his head.

I leaned against my stick as I watched him stagger to his feet, "I am. You take a step forward each time you fall. You learn from your mistakes."

Ever since tensions had risen from the recent attack, my warriors had upped their training and new recruits were piling in, ready to start their training and within that group of young people, was Oliver.

Oliver patted down his trousers trying to remove the dusted dirt, "or, you're just enjoying kicking my ass."

I shook my head, finding myself enjoying his slightly fed-up attitude, "hit me again."

He shot his eyes onto mine, his gaze shy.

There was a silent pause between the two of us, the air thick with a longing to do better. A common feeling amongst all warriors. I sighed, shifting my weight on my feet, "come on princess, we don't have all day. No use a man who can't fight!" My words were mocking making my trainee grip his weapon tighter.

He got into a fighting stance, stick raised.

"Now that's more like it!" I shot him a smirk.

He vented a breath of air and lunged forward swinging his stick. I dodged his pursue and blocked a few now better placed hits until I jabbed at his unprotected leg, sending him to his knee and I used the end of my stick to jab him in the face. There was a sharp crack as the man was sent onto his back again.

"Argh.....shit!" He cursed as he took his hand away from his nose, now fashioning a flowing line of crimson blood. "You broke my nose!"

I inspected the wonky nose and a smile blossomed my lips, "it's not too bad, come here." He staggered towards me, trying to rid the blood from his nose.

Gently, I cupped my hands around the injury.

"Wait, what are you doing—ARRR!"'

Before he could finish his sentence I snapped the bone back in place, resulting in a painful howl from Oliver.

"You couldn't have warned me?!" He snapped out, lightly tapping his fixed nose.

I fixed him with a knowing look, "it's better that way. I've had many broken noses in my training, you're gonna have to get used to it."

He wiggled his sleeve and used it to wipe a thick layer of sweat from his forehead, "can't wait."

The air around us was cool and quaint, sending a calming breeze that rippled my long golden locks. I leaned against my stick, and stood in silence taking in the nature around me.

"Hey, can I ask you something?" Oliver's deep voice tore me from my trance.

I turned my head to him, waiting for his question, "go on."

"What's going to happen tomorrow? When you go to see the leader of that Rebel group?" His voice was curious, but also contained a twinge of fear.

I couldn't help but pinpoint the want. The want to know what would happen. The want to know the level of danger and threat. The want to keep his friends safe, to keep his sister safe. I wanted to tell him it was going to be okay, that it was just going to be a simple talk of negotiations and then all this would just disappear. But that would be a lie, and I refused to give false hope. I looked down to my boots then back up into his royal blue eyes, "I do not know for sure, but I have a feeling that we will need to fight. To defend Polis and our people, for I have a feeling that war will show its true form tomorrow." The sun beamed down on us both, casting a glowing spotlight, "that's why you and your friends are learning how to fight.....and you're doing well."

Oliver shifted on his feet but soon that brave, sharp look returned to harness his eyes, "then that's what we'll do."

I let a small smile twist my lips, "carry on your training, I need to go back to the tower."

"Yes, Commander."

***

Polis was normally full of laughter and life. That's how I had known it all my life, but as I marched down the streets a heavy blanket of unease caked the air stuffy and there were less smiles on people's faces. This was what the tension of war brung, and not everyone stuck around to see what it would unfold.

Although the atmosphere around me was cold and quiet, the sight of Everest, Lexa, Arrow and Ivy lightened the mood a bit as they were all huddled together quietly sniggering outside the tower. "What's up?" I stood behind them eyebrows raised.

The four kids shot their heads up at me, fear quickly passing through their eyes, but they softened as they saw it was me.

"Hi, Heda." Arrow waved.

"What you guys doing?" I questioned, letting them know I could see their mischief.

Everest jumped towards me, "you going into the tower?"

I gave a small nod, a smirk slowly forming on my face.

"If you see Titus, he might be a little grumpy." The girl tried to stifle her laugh, but the growing giggles from behind her made her break.

I crossed my arms, "what did you do?"

They teenagers beamed with toothy smiles and Everest shrugged her shoulders, "you'll find out!" The four of them shuffled away still howling with laughter.

The ascent up the tower was normal, with the same cracks in the walls with sunlight leaking through and the same guards patrolling the corridors. But when I entered the throne room I saw what the children were laughing about. Below my feet, the floor was caked in a thick layer of flour. My heart beat lightened a little as it was evident that Titus had fallen victim to one of Everest's flour bombs and I was fully expecting an angry bald-headed man to come marching in complaining, but right now I just smiled as there was still happiness in these times. I grabbed a broom and began to sweep up the blanket of white while my mind replayed memories from my past of my own pranks with Ivory, and the raven haired boy I missed so dearly. I thought as I swept the floor, that maybe, just maybe, I would join him again soon. When my work was done and my reign was over......and I had a fluttering feeling that I would be holding his hand again very soon.

//

Apologies for the wait, school has been kicking my ass lately.
Just a short filler chapter before shit hits the fan!
Thanks you ever so much for taking the time to read❤️

Mochof😊