Chapter 10

Jubal’s POV

I sat beside the hospital bed watching Ruth breath. The doctor told me that she had been lucky, that only a few minor bones broke in her fall. Hearing a soft knock behind me, I turn to find the doctor stepping into the room. “Anything yet Beta Boaz?” He asked quietly.

I just shake my head no. “There’s something you should know. When you first brought her in, my staff and I did a complete exam of her. We found that several years ago, your sister had a miscarriage. She wasn’t but maybe two months along, so I doubt she knew about the pup.” I growl softly and turn my eyes back to Ruth.

“She should wake up soon. But with everything she’s been through, I’m not sure if she will.”

“Thanks Doc. I’ll holler for you if she starts waking up or if I need you for anything.” He nods and leaves the room. Picking up her hand, I hold it tightly. Ruth, please wake up. Everything will be fine I promise you. I’ll protect you with my life. We won’t have to stay with the pack if you can’t stand being around Castiel. We can move anywhere in the world, if you’d like too. Just wake up for me please. I softly beg.

Taking a long slow breath, I stand and walk out of the room. “Doc, I need to go for a run. If anything happens, send someone after me. I’ll be back shortly.” I jog out of the hospital and into the woods. Shifting, I howl as the wind runs through my fur.

Castiel’s POV

I was starting to get worried about Jubal. He left several days ago to find Ruth and still hasn’t returned yet. Both of my parents aren’t speaking to me still and it hurts. I know I made a mistake and I’m still paying for it.

Kirk tried calling me, but I blocked his number. It was partly because of him that I was in the mess I was in now. She’s afraid of us you know.  My wolf stated, speaking for the first time in days. I know that. Don’t you think I remember the way she reacted when I asked her to speak to me?

I told you years ago that she was our mate, but you didn’t listen to me. You blocked me out and got drunk, too drunk to even notice. I knew he was right but I blocked him anyway. Groaning softly, I walk to my window and stare out. The leaves would be changing in a few months, and by winter Dad would be handing me the title.

And that’s when I should have a mate to introduce to the pack. I felt sick as I remembered everything we did to Ruth that night. But I changed, and I knew that I would have to show her how much. Leaving my room, I hurry outside to run off the thoughts that were crowding into my mind.

Ruth’s POV

A constant beeping sound filled the room. My whole body hurt but the pain was dull. My eyes flutter open and I look around me. I didn’t recognize where I was, but as the memory of falling off the cliff played before my eyes, I knew I was in a hospital. I couldn’t help but wonder who found me and how.

I suddenly feel Si become nervous and start pacing in my mind. Taking a deep breath, I caught many scents of wolves. I thought I smelled Jubal but I knew that he was with his pack. The door of my room swung open and several men stepped in.

I knew with one look that they were wolves, and the one leading them was their alpha. I couldn’t help my reaction as I shot out of the bed falling onto the floor. The needle from the IV ripped out of my arm, leaving my hand bleeding.

They stopped at the edge of my bed watching me. I crawl to the corner quickly, making myself seem small. The alpha steps towards me and I whimper softly.

They were wolves and I just knew that they found out I was a liger and meant to do me harm. Jubal? Jubal, I’m sorry for running. Please find me. I’m so scared.

Another man walked into the room and I could see that he was a doctor. But he was a wolf so I didn’t trust him. He kneeled beside the bed looking at me. “Ruth, it’s alright. We won’t hurt you.” He says softly trying to catch my eye.

I whimper again, burying my head in my knees. “Ruth!” My head snapped up as I heard Jubal’s voice. It couldn’t be, could it? He was supposed to be with Alpha Nate and his pack. “Ruth, I’m here.”

He runs into the room and steps around the men. I watch as he sits beside me and pulls me into his lap. Once I knew I was safe with him, the dam on my tears broke. I was sobbing, but only the movement of my shoulders let on. He rubbed my back softly. “It’s alright now Ruth. They won’t hurt you. I promise you they wouldn’t dream of hurting you baby sis.”

“I thought you were in here Jubal. We’re sorry for bursting in like we did and scaring your sister.” Jubal just nods. “I’m taking her home once she’s able to travel.” He says and my eyes widen. Home was where he was, and I couldn’t face him again. I bury my head in Jubal’s chest, tears streaming down my face.

“You have to face him sometime Ruth. He won’t dream of touching you with me around. I’d kill him.”

I don’t want to Jubal. Please, don’t make me go back. You don’t know what he’s done.

I know what he’s done to you sister. I know everything he’s done to you. The hurt and anger in Jubal’s voice made me look at him. And as I gazed into his eyes, I saw that he really did know what happened. He knew the secrets that I tried to hide from everyone.

I wouldn’t take you back if your mate was anyone else Ruth. But he’s the future alpha. Without you, the pack will fail. Without you, he will fail. Just talk it out with him. And if you can’t be around him anymore, then we’ll move anywhere you’d like to.

I just nod and slowly close my eyes. I would try to speak to Castiel, but only for Jubal’s sake. But I had a feeling that my mate hadn’t changed. And I dreaded the thought of my brother leaving behind his pack because of me.