Chapter 11

Ruth’s POV

The wolf doctor made us stay a week while he made sure I was healing correctly. The alpha came to my room a lot to speak with my brother, and every time he stepped into my room I found myself becoming less and less afraid of him. I knew that he noticed because he started speaking to me as well. Though I never answered him.

Jubal and I were currently walking through the forest back to his home. I knew he wanted to run, but we were taking it slow because he didn’t want me to hurt myself again. Alpha Nate wouldn’t let Kirk come to his land. I look at Jubal confused.

The boy that abused you with Castiel. Nate’s his uncle, but when he learned what they did to you, Nate was furious. That boy won’t be stepping onto these lands for quite some time. I just nodded since I didn’t know what to say.

It took us three days to reach the pack land. Jubal took me straight home before he went to his office and called the alpha to let him know that we were back. I didn’t expect for him and his son to come over.

I was sitting in the living room watching a re-run of Criminal Minds when I smelled his scent. Startled, I jump to my feet and whirl around to find both him and Alpha Nate looking at me. I could feel the blood as it drained out of my face. I couldn’t bring myself to look into Castiel’s eyes, so I dropped them to the floor.

The alpha spoke first. “Ruth, I’m sorry for what my son and nephew did to you. I know that nothing I can say can make it any better or erase the painful memories, but I am truly sorry.”

I just nod as I listen to Jubal’s footsteps getting closer. He motions for Nate to follow him to his office and left me alone with my mate. Castiel steps into the den and scurry back towards the wall. He didn’t mask the look of hurt that crossed his face.

Si wanted me to go to him, but the human side of me wanted to run as far away from him as I could get. “I’m sorry Ruth, for everything. I’ve beaten myself up every moment since that night, and I wish with my whole heart that I could go back and stop what we did.”

I slowly lift my eyes to his and I could see that he was telling the truth. Go to him Ruth. We deserve to be happy.

Even if he’s the cause of our pain Si? The fear that they installed in us will always be in the back of my mind.

Yes Ruth. Look at him. The memory of what he did to us is slowly killing him. I’m not saying that what he did was right, but he’s our mate, our only chance at love, happiness and pups. At her reminder, I felt tears start to fall. Castiel looked at me, torn at what to do. He knew that I was afraid of him, but my crying was tearing his heart apart.

“We…We had a pup you know?” My voice was weak and frail from non use. Castiel flinched at my words. “What do you mean, ‘we had a pup’?” My eyes drop back to the floor, but I watched him from under my lashes.

“That night you left me pregnant. I had no idea I was carrying our pup until I lost it. Kirk and his bunch ganged up on me at school and the beating was just too much. We lost it.” I saw him moving towards me and I stiffened.

I closed my eyes waiting for the pain to start but instead he wrapped his arms around me and started crying. “I’m so sorry Ruth. I know I don’t deserve your forgiveness, but I’m asking for it anyway.” I just stood there in my mate’s arms listening to him cry.

Jubal’s POV

I took Nate to my office and I regretted leaving Ruth alone with Castiel. But what I had to say I knew that it would be easier if it was just the two of us. Once the door was closed, I hand Nate the envelope Stone’s pack doctor gave to me.

“What’s this Jubal?”

“Just read it Nate, please.” I answer as I move to sit behind my desk. He slowly opened it and pulled the paper out. I kept my eyes on him as he read. “She…She was carrying Castiel’s pup?”

“That’s what the doctor said. And she lost it because of a beating she received, probably due to Kirk and the others.” He growled softly, his eyes changing colors rapidly. “Why didn’t she say anything when it happened?”

“Knowing Ruth she would have. But because of what Castiel and the others did to her, I think she was too scared to come forward and let him know that she was expecting his pup. She probably thought that he would reject her or try to say that it wasn’t his.”

“Shifters can only carry their mate’s children.” Nate spat out as his eyes lightened. He suddenly leaves my office and I follow him. He comes to a dead stop so I step around him. I feel my eyes widen at the sight before us: Castiel hugging my sister and crying his eyes out.

I look at Nate and our eyes meet. I could see that he was just as confused as I was.

Castiel’s POV

A pup. I couldn’t believe that I was a father. Then Ruth’s next words hit me. She lost it because of Kirk. My cousin had unknowingly killed my child. I rush forward and wrap my arms around my mate.

I felt her stiffen and it was like a blow to my heart. She thought that I was going to hit her again. “I’m so sorry Ruth. I know I don’t deserve your forgiveness, but I’m asking for it anyway.”

I say hugging her as I cry. Never in my life have I cried, but I couldn’t stop myself. I caused my mate so much pain. If I was her, I would hate me too. Hearing a shuffle of feet, I step back and look over my shoulder to find my father and Jubal watching us.

“Beta, I’d like to speak with my mate some more if you don’t mind.” He looks from me to Ruth. I couldn’t see what she did, but his eyes lock back with mine. “You have five minutes with her. You better watch your words.” He snarls at me and I just nod my head.

They head back to his office and I turn to face my mate. She was watching me, her eyes still large but I could hear that her heart rate had slowed a little. How to start, I wondered as I stared at her.