Chapter 13

Castiel's POV

My head was throbbing and I felt pain shooting all over my body. I moaned as my eyes slowly opened and I saw that I was in a cell. I could smell Ruth nearby but I couldn't call out to her. My mouth was to dry.

I try to sit up, but a wave of pain at the movement was too much and I moaned again as I found my eyes closing.

Ruth's POV

I woke up with a head ache. Looking around, I noticed that I was in cell. I try linking with my wolf, Jubal or Castiel, but just received another headache. Someone laughs and I slowly turn my head to see who it was.

Kirk was leaning against my cell watching me. "You can't link with anyone. These cells cut all links: if you're in them." He says laughing at me. "You thought you would be able to hide from me when you moved. But I proved you wrong.

"I have plans for you and that sorry excuse of a cousin." His eyes glint and I could feel the coldness of his stare. "I'm going to slowly kill both of you, your liger and his wolf at the same time."

He leaves and I couldn't stop the tears that fell. Curling up into a ball, I try to link with my brother again. Hearing a soft moan, I realize that Castiel was close. I waited to hear his voice but the room became silent again. As I sat there slowly rocking, I prayed to the Moon Goddess that my brother would find us soon.

I quickly lost track of how much time had passed in that cell. Kirk would come down often and taunt me. But Castiel still hasn't woken, or that I could tell. I had just dozed off when I heard the cell door open. I slowly open my eyes to find Kirk standing before me holding a whip.

I felt my face pale as I realized what was coming. Kirk raises the whip and smiles at me. He brought it down across my back and I have to bit my lips to keep from screaming out in pain. By the time he's finished, my back's bleeding and I'm on the verge of being unconscious.

"Ruth." I hear Castiel's voice though it sounds weak. "I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault Castiel." I managed to say before I collapse onto my small matt and my eyes close.

Jubal's POV

It took the whole pack almost a month to track Kirk down. At first, his father didn't want to help us, but after Nate locked the both of them in his office for a few hours, he finally gave up the information. As we circled the small house in the middle of nowhere, I looked at the wolves around me.

We're here to rescue our future Alpha and his mate. Kirk Mooreland is to be captured so we can turn him over to the Council. But if he tries to harm Castiel or Ruth...Kill him. I add as we begin to rush the house.

Once in the house, I begin to search through each room looking for my sister and her mate. I could hear the fighting around me and it makes me look faster. Suddenly, a hidden door flies open and I watch as Kirk runs out.

I link with a few of our warriors telling them where he is as I slip down the steps. My eyes spot a set of keys and I grab them. Once my eyes become accustomed to the dim light, I have to struggle with my wolf for control.

Castiel lay in cell bandaged up. Several cells down on the other side of the wall lay Ruth. I couldn't tell what shape she was in because the shadows hid her well. I quickly unlock Cass's door as his father rushes in and slowly picks him up.

I nod as he walks out and turn to Ruth's cell. It wasn't until I was right in front of her that I catch the smell of her blood. I growl softly as I crouch beside her. I gently shake her shoulder. "Ruth? Ruth, its Jubal. I'm here to take you home."

I couldn't stop the tears as they started to fall. I failed to protect her again. I picked her up and she gasped. That's when I saw the whip wounds on her back. Both my wolf and I was out for blood. Setting my teeth, I pick her up and hurry up the stairs. Handing her to the doctor, I scan the rouges for Kirk.

"He got away Beta." One of the warriors tells me, his eyes glued to the ground. "FIND HIM!" I demand and they hurry back into the woods. Hearing movement, I turn to find Castiel and Nate standing beside me. Cass looked a little pale but otherwise unharmed.

"What happened?"

"Kirk jumped out in front of me on my way to pick Ruth up for school. I lost control of the car and it crashed. The next thing I know, I wake up in a cell but when I try to get out off the little cot, I lost consciousness again. I could feel her pain as he whipped her for hours on end.

"He thought I was still out one day when he came into my cell. He told me that he planned on making me mark her and then he was going to..."

"To what?" I ask him, my eyes burning into his. Cass looks away first. "Kirk said that he was going to rape her until both her liger and my wolf died. Then he was going to kill us." I didn't know what to say.

I opened my mouth but closed it when I heard Ruth scream. I turn just in time to see her throw herself in front of Cass and me as I hear a gunshot. Instantly the wolves closest to Kirk attack him and he's dead within seconds.

I kneel beside Cass as he holds Ruth in his arms. "I...couldn't...let him...kill either of you." She says softly. I could hear her heartbeat slow down quickly. "Doc, get over here!" I yell jumping to my feet. I throw my head back and howl. I couldn't lose her now.