Chapter 1: Encounter

Pawblo was wandering around the small garbage hole that was named Tera Con Prime. He had been wandering around here all his life, and wasn't bothered by it. Not one bit. He just wondered what his family was like before he was abandoned. The guy couldn't even remember their names or what they looked like. Just his own last name repeated in his head: O'Connor.

He held his bag on his shoulder as he wandered the alleys, rummaging through the trash cans. "There's gotta be some spare parts in here." As he kept tossing stuff around in search of anything valuable, footsteps could be heard behind him. He turned and pointed his makeshift plasma revolver at whoever was behind him.

"Who's there? Show your...self." He lowered his gun when he saw who he was pointing it at. It was a kid. His fur was orange, and his mohawk was bright light blue. He wore clothes that made him seem casual, like he had never been out here before.

"D-don't shoot!" The boy raised his hands in the air. "I'm just looking for a p-place to be alone!" Pawblo raised an eyebrow. "Where are your parents, kid?" The boy looked away. "I just need to be away from my Dad for a bit. We got into a fight and...hey, why am I even talking to you???" He walked past Pawblo and looked around into the bazaar. "Uh...you wouldn't happen to have a place where I can hang out for a bit?" He chuckled nervously.

Pawblo rubbed in between his eyes, in stress. He groaned. "Alright. Follow me. Stay close." He proceeded to walk through the baazar, with the boy obeying his order to stay close. As they walked, Pawblo felt the eyes of thieves and crooks looking at him. It didn't bother him. Nothing did.

The boy was curious as to where he was being taken to, until they stopped in front of an abandoned building. "What are we here for?" Pawblo pulled out a keycard that he had and swiped it. It allowed him to enter. He quickly pulled the kid inside and shut the door.

"You can stay here for as long as you need. Don't touch anything. Stay in the kitchen." Pawblo sternly pointed his finger. The boy nodded. "I'm Little Cato, by the way", he said.

"....Pawblo."

Little Cato smiled. "Thank you, Pawblo, sir."

"....Whatever."

Little Cato looked through the holes of the boarded up window. The "streets" were all crowded with people trying to go somewhere or buy something. Pawblo eyed the kid as he was working on modifying an old circuit board. He turned his head multiple times, but was clearly focused on his job.

The young vemtrexian walked over to where Pawblo was sitting at. He pulled up a chair and sat down beside him. "So, this is what you do all day?" There was a moment of silence, as Pawblo was focused on repairing the circuit board.

"Okay, I get it. You don't want to—!"

"....Pretty much. I've been doing this my whole life." He mumbled, as he kept his eyes on the board. He was replacing the many damaged wires and chips on it. Little Cato eyed the board, noticing how Pawblo was so precise with his placement.

"Got any kids?"

"No." Pawblo mumbled a response.

"Girlfriend?"

"Nope."

"Boyfriend?"

"...Nope."

Little Cato chuckled. "I figured as much. What about family?" Pawblo stopped in place, hearing the question the boy uttered. "I...I never knew them. Been by myself all my life." He felt sad, saying it. But he kept calm, not trying to open the door for more.

"Sorry if that was too sensitive to ask. I get it. We all have stuff we want to bury." Little Cato shrugged. "My dad doesn't want to tell me anything about my mom or stuff like that." He crossed his legs together. Pawblo shrugged. "It is what it is, I guess."

Little Cato soon felt a buzz on his wrist. It was a wrist communicator that his father had gotten for him. Pawblo eyed it. "I'm gonna assume that it's your father. You should get going." He got up from the desk and walked over to the door, opening it. "Do you remember where we came from?"

"Yeah." Little Cato got up and walked out the door. He turned to face Pawblo one more time. "Can I come visit you? You seem like a cool person to hang out with." He let out a smile. The cornflower blue ventrexian didn't know how to respond. He was never shown this type of admiration before.

"Ugh...yeah, sure. Just don't bother me while I work." He grumbled, but smiled a little to reassure the kid. "Now go on. Get home safe." Little Cato nodded, and soon ran off into the bazaar crowd.

Pawblo went back inside and sat down at his desk again, focusing on repairing the circuit board.