Chapter 8: Temporary Home

Pawblo opened the door to Avocato and Little Cato's residence, and stepped inside. He set his backpack aside, mand took in the view he was presented.

It was a neat and orderly house. Minus the exception of the dirty dishes in the sink. The living room was massive, as well as the kitchen. The couch that resided in the living room was long, and a coffee table was placed in front of it. A large TV with a video game console rested above the fireplace.

"Woah. I guess your dad is good at whatever he does." Pawblo chuckled a little. The kid nodded and grinned widely. "Yeah, he pretty much is. What do you want to do?" He jumped onto the couch and rested his arms behind his head. "I...I don't know. I still have to fix this thing." He placed his backpack on the dinner table and sat down. "You can order a pizza right now if you want. I have money." Pawblo smiled.

The boy nodded and soon ran to his room to grab his phone. Pawblo sat there, already focused on his work. He kept his mind focused on replacing the wires, but it would every so often drift off to thinking about Avocato.

For such a dangerous guy to be around, he seemed to be a softie. He noticed that when the man brought up his son. He felt glad knowing that the kid had a parent that loved him. The guy's feelings went little down after thinking about that, so he continued concentrating on the thing he was repairing.

At least, until his mind wandered back to Avocato.

It was impressive to think that the man could handle both work and family life at the same time. Pawblo wondered if he had ever been to other planets. I'd have to ask him sometime, he thought to himself. The cornflower blue ventrexian also noticed how straight Avocato stood all the time, as if every person he spoke to was important. Those thoughts soon turned into something else completely, as Pawblo began blushing and shaking his head, trying to ignore what he imagined.

"This is just crazy", Pawblo told himself. "I can't be...thinking like that. He has a kid, and I'm...I'm nothing, compared to them."

He sighed and soon put away his work stuff back into his bag. The man walked over to the couch and slumped on it. It was 100 percent better than the couch he slept on at his place. He groaned in pleasure at the feeling of his back and shoulders resting comfortably.

As he did this, Little Cato walked back into the room. He was smiling. "I got us a large pizza and some cheese poppers. Ooh, and a large bottle of soda! We're going to eat like kings tonight, man!" He grinned widely as he joined Pawblo in sitting on the couch.

The boy noticed that Pawblo had his eyes closed, and seemed like he was drifting away in slumber. "Pawblo? Hello? Earth to Pawblo!" The man woke up from the little power nap he was taking and saw the kid, who was giggling. "Just taking a quick nap, Little Cato." He smiled at the sight of seeing the boy all happy.

As the two of them watched TV, Little Cato eyed Pawblo. He wanted to ask him something. "Hey, Pawblo?" The man turned his head to face the kid. "Yeah? What's up? You need anything?" Little Cato chuckled nervously. He wasn't sure if Pawblo would answer this but he was willing to try.

"Are you SURE that you're not interested?"

"Interested in what?"

"...My dad." He smirked, forming a sly look on his face.

Pawblo blushed a little. "W-what? No! I'm not! Seriously." He got a little irritated hearing the kid ask him again. Little Cato shrugged. "I figured I would try again. Like I said, he seemed pretty antsy to go talk with you this morning." The cornflower blue ventrexian shrugged in response.

"Let's face it, kid. Even if what you're saying is true...there's no way he wants a guy like me. He has all this power and money. I have nothing." Pawblo rubbed his eyes. "I don't even know if I want to test the waters with him."

"Huh?"

"Hmm...uh, let me put it this way. I don't know if...I really do...want a relationship." He rubbed his own neck, sighing in relief. "It's just been me my whole life. I've only been used to being alone. I'm just trying to take baby steps for now. Get it?" Pawblo looked away. Little Cato tilted his head for a minute, until he nodded in confirmation.

"I understand. Sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable." Pawblo nodded in response. The two of them were quiet, at least until the pizza delivery person was knocking on the door. As they ate their pizza and drank their soda, the two of them joked around and laughed.

The cornflower blue ventrexian kept the thought of easily letting someone like Avocato and his son entering his life to himself.

But he knew that, it it ended up happening, he wouldn't mind it at all.