Chapter 2: Argument

Avocato waited patiently at the kitchen table in his humble home. He twiddled his fingers in order to take the mind off of his stress. The man knew that he shouldn't have argued with his son. Family came first before his work, and he knew that he had to make up for it.

The front door opened, revealing Little Cato. "Hey, uh...Dad? I'm back." He had a sad look on his face. Avocato stood up from the table and rushed over to him. He kneeled down and checked to make sure he wasn't hurt. "Are you okay? Do you feel pain?" Little Cato stepped away. "Dad, I'm fine. Nobody got to me."

"Look, kiddo. I'm sorry for fighting with you. And I'm sorry that I can't take you to that planet you wanted to visit. I promise I'll make it up to you." He smiled nervously. Little Cato nodded. "It's okay, Dad. I'm sorry for lashing out, too." He walked over to the couch. "It wasn't all bad, though. I made a friend."

Avocato heard this, but he decided to be cool about it. He didn't want to argue again. "You what?! Please tell me you didn't say who I am." Little Cato shook his head. "Nope! Just my name. Don't worry." The boy shrugged. "He was cool."

The ventrexian general scoffed. "Was he a gang member? Or just some street rat?" Little Cato felt a bit offended hearing that. "What?! No! He's just living by himself. He doesn't trust anyone. Well, anyone but me now." Avocato eyed his son as he crossed his arms. "Maybe I should go with you to meet your friend next time."

Little Cato rolled his eyes. "No you don't, Dad. I'm already enough trouble for him as it is. Don't ruin this!" The kid stormed off to his room. A door slam could be heard as he disappeared.

Avocato rubbed his head. He was stressed about leading the galactic fleet once again, but even more stressed knowing that his own son was stressed of him.

"Goddamn...why can't I be a good parent?"

When nighttime came, Avocato slowly crept up to Little Cato's room. There he was, fast asleep. He entered the room and pulled the blanket over him. The boy nuzzled in, still asleep. It made Avocato smile every time he was at peace like this. He hoped that his son was hanging out with the right people.

He also hoped that he didn't get into trouble at all.