Chapter 6: Chatter

Little Cato sat beside Pawblo, who was working on fixing an old processor. Its wires were busted and the CPU chip on it looked like it blew up. But he knew that Pawblo could fix anything. He always could.

As he watched, he felt like it was too quiet. He decided to make some small talk. "Sorry about my Dad. He's overprotective of me." He scratched his neck. Pawblo stopped what he was doing and put his tools down. "I told you that it's alright. I get it. Well, not really. But I know that people wouldn't want to be your friend if they knew who you are." The man rubbed his own neck, feeling a bit of relief. He did spend almost every day hunched over at this desk.

"I just don't like spending all of my days at home. Sure, my Dad takes me out of the house whenever he has the time, but I feel lonely. And there aren't many kids around here." The boy's ears flopped down. "I've never really had friends to begin with."

Pawblo felt a little bad for the kid. He could relate, but only to the part of having no friends. The whole aspect of socializing was new to him, due to keeping to himself. But after spending time with Little Cato, he felt a bit used to it.

"Well, I'm your friend. And I never really had friends, either." He smiled lightly. "I'm glad you're my first friend, kid." Little Cato grinned. He got close to Pawblo and hugged it out with him. Pawblo slowly hugged the kid back, not used to physical contact yet. "Alright, alright. Enough being mushy. We got work to do."

"Okay!" Little Cato chuckled. The two of them soon went back to fixing up the processor again. It was a bit quiet between the two of them. It was up to Little Cato to break the silence between them once again.

"So! What do you think of my Dad?"

Pawblo shrugged. "Aside from the fact that he's the Lord Commander's second-in-command, I don't know. He seems mysterious. But he cares for you, so I don't know." The boy smirked mischievously. "So you didn't notice him eyeing you?" The cornflower blue ventrexian was surprised to hear this, and blushed a little.

"W-what? No he wasn't." Pawblo scoffed at that statement. "He was just being a parent; making sure that you were safe. That's it." He went back to working on the broken processor. "And even if he was...I don't know if I would be interested."

Little Cato's ears perked up. "What? Why's that?" He looked at Pawblo with a questioning look. The man shrugged it off. "I don't know! I just...I've never been good with people. And I only just met your father today. I'm not saying I like him, so don't say a word." He sternly looked at the kid. Little Cato was still smiling like a little devil.

"Alriiiiiiight." He still grinned as he continued to look for parts for the processor. Pawblo eyed him for a bit and soon put his focus back.

"Would you agree to one date?"

"You're never gonna let this go, aren't you?"

The boy chuckled. "Nope."