Chapter 36

"I haven't been in Rhodes in a hot minute," Helen commented as she rode in with Arthur a few days later. He let out a hum, not looking at her; "Can imagine all the mischief you caused," he grumbled, trying to sound friendly.

Helen frowned at his tone, but he stayed silent as he hitched his horse and stepped down. With a sigh, she followed Arthur towards Bill, Micah and Sean. "We been waitin' for ya, Arthur. Got distracted by a pretty lady?" Micah sneered, winking at Helen. I will throw up on him right now.

"Well, I'm sorry to have kept you," Arthur snapped. Sean moved over to Helen's side as the outlaws walked into town. "I haven't had the pleasure of chattin' with you, Ms. Matthews," he said with a friendly smile.

"Well you boys are always out raisin' hell, there's hardly any time to make friends," she told him. Sean laughed loudly, his rifle hanging over his shoulder. "So how long have you been ridin' with this lot?" he asked casually, continuing.

"A few weeks now, and I ain't ever seen a gang like this. Y'all are so tight-knit like a family, I fell almost outta place," she joked lightly. Sean patted her on the shoulder; "Don't talk like that, Ms. Matthews! I can see you're one of the only people here with a level head!" he reassured.

He don't seem so bad once you get past the yelling. "No need for formalities, you can call me Helen," she told him. Sean took her hand and kissed her knuckles, which made her roll her eyes and smile.

"A beautiful name." The outlaws stopped in the middle of town, and only then did they realize it was deserted. I don't like this." "This don't feel right," Arthur said, voicing her thoughts.

"Now it don't feel right? I coulda told you - " Sean was saying, but he cut himself off when he spotted something. "HELEN!!" She was shoved to the ground when a gunshot suddenly went off. Sean fell down at her side, a disgusting and gaping bullet hole in his forehead.

"NO!!" Helen frantically backed away from Sean's dead corpse, her eyes wide in terror. She was frozen on the spot and didn't hear her companions yelling for her.

We were just talking...joking around.... A screech was ripped from her lungs when a bullet suddenly pierced through her shoulder. Her initial shock, coupled with the sudden pain, caused Helen to collapse back down next to Sean and black out.