Chapter 38

The nine outlaws were walking side by side up to the Braithwaite Manor. Helen was stood in between Hosea and Charles, her rifle in hand and her glare set on the manor.

"I'm gonna kill every single one of these redneck bastards for that boy," she snarled. "Take care you don't get shot again, darlin'," her father told her. Helen just nodded once as they neared the manor, and she cocked her gun. "Get down here now, you inbred TRASH!!" Dutch shrieked.

I'll kill them, all of them. The front doors opened, revealing two men, and they would have been shot on sight had Charles not lowered Helen's gun. "What the hell do you want?" one man yelled. The gang came to a halt to allow Dutch to advance on the house. "We've come for the boy!"

Helen fidgeted impatiently, her jaw clenched and her teeth bared. John shared the same intensity of rage as her, and she couldn't wait to see him let loose.

More men appeared from the front door and the porch overhead, which made Helen ready herself. As soon as Dutch fired the first shot, Helen let out a cry before charging.

Two men were gunned down before she dove for cover, and she peaked out to fire again. Charles ran to her side, firing alongside her. "Get down!" she then yelled.

A Braithwaite was charging up to Charles' side, so she shoved him down and shot the man in the head. "I gotcha!" Helen pulled him back up to his feet before pushing forward, yelling, "Come on!"

The two ran to the next cover, standing up and shooting down the last Braithwaites in sight. "Bill, Javier - cover left! Arthur, John, Hosea, with me! The rest of you, watch out here for any other arrivals!" Dutch yelled to the gang.

Helen spotted Hosea advancing on the house, and she quickly chased after him. "Dad!" Hosea faltered, turning to face his daughter; "Be careful in there," she said a little breathlessly.

Helen could see the joy in her father's eyes as he nodded, then jogged away. Helen returned to her place next to Charles, sitting down behind cover. "I hope they find that boy, last thing we need is another future gunslinger with a tragic backstory," she sighed, brushing her black hair away from her face.

Charles let out a huff, his hand touching her almost-recovered bullet wound. "You're bleeding a little, don't push yourself too hard, spit fire," he said. She smirked, rolling her injured shoulder and ignoring the ache. More horses arrived at the manor, making everyone ready up.

"I ain't gonna let up until either that boy is found or I get shot dead!" Helen declared. She fired at the arriving Braithwaites, shooting round after round into each man she saw.

"Y'all are gonna pay for takin' that boy!" she spat, laughing maniacally. Charles then stepped in front of her, pushing her behind him and firing at a Braithwaite behind them.

Helen spun around to see the man fall dead, her eyes wide in surprise. She patted Charles' back, smiling up at him. "Nice shootin', Tex!"

~~~~

HI HELLO OKAY I JUST WANNA SAY THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO'S BEEN VOTING AND READING MY STORY, I JUST PASSED 1000 READS AND I'M SO INCREDIBLY HAPPY, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH