CHAPTER ONE

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Game Over
chapter one

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

CHICAGO, ILLINOIS. It was the birth place of two horrible people forced together because of an unexpected pregnancy. It was the place they wed, they honeymooned, and where they had little Phoebe Lim in the pool at her grandmother's backyard. It was also the place Phoebe grew up, with little to no attention and the anxiety of a chihuahua. But it was also the gracious place that gave her Phillip Gallagher and his dysfunctional family. She sighed as she felt the bed beside her dip. Her fingers splayed across the sheets beneath her before gripping it tight. She nuzzled her nose into the throw pillow. "Hey," the gentle voice spoke. "It's seven fifteen, Pheebs."

          "Five more minutes," she whined, hiding her face into the pillow. A laugh escaped the older girl's lips as she grabbed Phoebe by her side. "Up and at 'em, kiddo." Her eyes cracked open to see Fiona Gallagher sitting beside her, bed head and all. "Okay," she finally sighed. Once Fiona hopped off of the bed, Phoebe forced herself to sit up. She waited until Fiona closed to door behind her to wake everyone else up and got out of bed. She wore a pair of shorts stolen from Lip and one of her dad's old college shirts. Her eyes roamed the room until they fell on her overnight bag. She launched herself toward the bag and hauled it onto the bed. Inside was several changes of clothes, a toothbrush, and her own toothpaste. It also contained her wallet and her phone charger.

          "Seven fifteen, monkeys," she heard Fiona say as she opened a door. As quick as she could, she grabbed a pair of jeans and a t shirt, flinging off the clothes she wore in that moment. She was dressed by the time the boys were racing for the bathroom. "First shower," Ian announced as she opened the door, toothbrush and toothpaste  in hand. "You had it yesterday," Lip argued. A winning smile found Phoebe's face as she walked down the hallway. "That's why I shower at night," she teased, waving the purple brush at her best friend. He nodded his head with raised eyebrows. "Well, you don't jack off at night," he fired back, causing her eyes to roll skyward.

          "Lip," Fiona scoffed, disgust evident in her expression. Phoebe passed by him to make her way to the kitchen. Her feet were barely in her tennis shoes, heels hanging over the back. She slid over the hardwood floor, dodging a running Carl. Fiona fluffed her hair before turning to lead the way. The duo made way into the kitchen. Phoebe used the sink water to prepare her toothbrush and began brushing her teeth, all the while wiggling her feet into her sneakers. Fiona slammed the fridge closed after taking out the milk. Right in front of her was the calendar. "Shit," the older girl cursed.

          "What is it?" Phoebe asked around the toothbrush in her mouth, watching as Fiona tossed the milk jug onto the counter. "The electric bill." She side eyed the girl standing at the sink. Phoebe turned back to the sink and ducked her head in, making sure the majority of her spit hit the drain. After rinsing it, she turned back to Fiona. "I can help out this month. This is, like, the fourth night I've spent over." If there was one thing to know about the Gallaghers, it was that they didn't take charity. If they were to take money, it would be to borrow or because that person owed them. In Phoebe's eyes, she owed them everything. Even if they didn't see it exactly like that.

          After spacing out for a few beats, Fiona finally shook her head. "Nah. You're our guest. Lip's guest," she argued. She killed the conversation with a wave of her hand. Deciding not to push her further, Phoebe went back to brushing her teeth as the house descended into chaos. "Hurry up, you ginger dick!" Lip shouted outside of the bedroom door. His fist banged heavily against the wood. "Fuck off!" Ian shouted back over the spray of water. Taking this as her cue, Phoebe turned toward the hallway and made her way toward the bickering brothers. "Hey, let me borrow your toothpaste," Lip spoke up upon seeing his friend.