CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Game Over
chapter twenty one

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

SHE SNATCHED THE CIGARETTE FROM BETWEEN HIS LIPS WITH A SIGH. "Karen called," she stated before putting the item between her lips and inhaling deeply. Alan looked over at her, his head resting against the pillows, the blankets pooling at his waist. "Did you answer?" he asked. She nodded her head as she withdrew the cigarette. For a moment, she held in the heavy smoke. She let it fill ever corner of her lungs, burning the surface, creating that buzzing feeling in her head. "And?" He took the cigarette from her grasp as white billowed from her lips and created a cloud around them. She blinked away the stinging substance. "She asked me to come over to talk."

She rubbed at the marks littering her neck, her opposite hand fisting the bed sheets. Alan noticed. He ran his hand up her bare back in a slow manner, taking his own drag of the cigarette. "She sounded... crazy. Like it was a mix of upset and angry." Alan hummed, adding on to the smokey atmosphere. He sat up in the bed, stretching out his arms and popping any joints that needed it. Gently, his arm snaked around her naked waist and he pulled her deeper into his side. "Are you gonna go?" His head turned in her direction, fingers moving to brush back her hair. They entangled in her dark tresses, pushing it back from her flushed face.

"I don't know," she admitted with a sigh. Her shoulders sagged as her face fell into her hands. She was so torn. On one hand, she was still angry with Karen. But on the other, she wanted to be there for her. She didn't want to let her suffer alone. Alan pressed a soft kiss to her cheek. "You don't have to," he whispered. Another kiss pressed to her pulse point. "You can stay here... with me." She sighed as his lips met her neck, tongue poking past his lips to taste her skin. She reached over to dive her hand against his neck. She felt the muscles in his shoulders ripple as he moved to hold her hip. "You're very persuasive," she mewled.

His breath fanned against her skin as he breathed out a chuckle. Her fingers trailed into his cropped hair, nails scratching at his scalp. "But I should go," she concluded. She nuzzled her face against his, a pout evident on her features. "She'd be there for me." He nodded. He pressed a soft kiss to her shoulder. That was something she felt lucky for. Alan was understanding. He never forced her into anything. He never made her feel like she had to be someone she wasn't. "Do you want me to take you there?" he asked. He rested his cheek against her shoulder, breathing in the natural scent of her. He breathed in the soft vanilla scent, the mix of his cologne and fabric softener, her sweat.

          Her head lolled back, her spine straightening. She stretched her arms over her head, causing Alan to fall back into the mattress. He watched in awe as she moved, completely bare, showing off the scars of her childhood, the traumas of her life. She was vulnerable. "No," she replied. She flipped onto her knees, her hands running along the ridges of his stomach. Black ink painted his ochre skin in swirling patterns. Her nails scratched the surface just hard enough to leave a pink hue behind. "I think I've got it," she hummed with a smile. His arms moved behind his head to reach maximum comfort. Though he'd like to accompany her, he wasn't going to invite himself. Instead, he'd wait for the next moment he could have her in his arms.

          "Fuck," he huffed, looking up at her as she straddled his waist. Her hands moved up his body, over his shoulders. She felt every ridge, plane, flaw of his body. She felt the raised skin of scar tissue, the acne scars. She relished in it, knowing that she was allowed to see his vulnerable side as well. "I'm going to miss you," he admitted. A warm, beaming smile lit up her face. Her stomach became all hot and fuzzy. Her head ascended into the clouds like a hot air balloon. "Mm, say it again," she hummed, lip bitten between her teeth. His hands moved to her waist and slid against her waist. His fingers dug into her skin. He chuckled at her antics.