Part 9

After that heavenly moment, we lay in bed and stared at the empty ceiling and talked about so much that life had in store for us. We fell asleep beside each other only to be woken up by a noisemaking mosquito. We slid under the duvet and I spooned her as she fell asleep. We slept soundly and woke up to a chilly morning. We couldn't get out of bed. We just turned up the music and the room warmers to keep the room warm. We pillow fought until we were too hungry to continue this lovey-dovey game.

It's been two days since I traveled upcountry to go see mom and life's not been fair for the better part of my time here. I miss Ciku and phone calls make it even worse. I miss the woman I was falling in love with. I knew I wasn't ready for anything more than just friendship but I knew if I ever wanted something more than just that, she was the best choice. My little sister was happy seeing me after all those years I have been away. Three or four years I have been away, no video calls no snaps...nothing. She had grown into a big woman now and had passed her "O" levels and was looking forward to joining the university.

My mom on the other hand was eager to hear what I had in mind regarding life after university and even relationships. She inquired if I had "seen" anyone in the big city, Nairobi, whom I thought could make a good wife. She even warned me against taking home a 'dot com', what they called slay queens during their times, to her home. She wanted a woman who knew how to take care of her husband and also had a clarity of vision. Not just a nympho with gypsy blood who only thought of herself and her evil plans. She might have known I had a good eye on women. I had never had any woman with undesirable qualities and I was proud of that. I knew for sure that in as much as I got laid by these beautiful city girls, I couldn't risk a lady who wasn't mature or had motherly vibes. I always took precautions on who to sleep with in case anything happened.

I once, in my second year in college slept with a girl next door. That's the worst decision I ever made and I usually thank God a hundred times for how much He took care of her. I'm not going to give details on whatever happened between us. That was my turning point in life. I resolved to know someone first before jumping into bed with them. Even the holy book in a verse somewhere written by the wise man Solomon said "a good woman is better than riches and a witch is better than a scornful woman". I felt that. The qualities my mom told me to look out for in a woman in case I needed one for a life long partner all fitted on Ciku's checklist. I guess I had good eyes then.

My time upcountry was up and I was on the last bus to Nairobi. Fares hiked given there were too many travelers. Schools reopened and people getting back to work after the festivities. On seat number sixteen I had a view of the beautiful sceneries of our lovely country on my way back. I felt the kinda satisfaction one gets when they have accomplished something they've been working their backs off for. I felt good seeing my mom and little sister after what seemed an eternity and came back focused on the betterment of my future and working out the odds. The tranquility ensured my mood was at it's best.

I woke up tired from the long journey. I was supposed to go to the bank and deposit my final year fees and pass by the mall and grab some necessities. Having moved into a one-bedroom house in the same apartment, I hard a lot of filling to do. I needed more furniture and a bigger TV. Plus I needed more room given my girlfriend would be spending more time at my place. That motivated me to wake up and grab breakfast at Kamumbu before proceeding to Rongai to get on with my plans for the day. The line at KCB was long but I could manage. I sat patiently and I was off the premises in half an hour. One thing done.

I spent the rest of the day getting the furniture in place and getting a better space to mount my new TV. By dusk, I was sick tired, and hungry. No one was around to cook so I again had to do that myself. I checked my little kitchen fridge for anything to cook and to my excitement, I had a few chicken drumsticks and wings. I cooked the frozen chicken with "pishori" and called it a night. The night was quite long. Sleeping alone, dreams of my wedding Ciku and everything sweet about her. I couldn't wait for daybreak to actually urge her to come over soon. I was dying to see her; like look into her eyes and tell her how much I loved her and why I saw her in my future. I was so enamored with her that I was so ignoramus about what she thought of my future with her. If she ever did. That I left to my imagination.

Thursdays are not my best days of the week but the daughter of Mumbi's voice made mine better. She told me she was on the bus back to the city and that would see me as soon as she was back. My heartbeat two extra beats when she said those words over the phone. The words that I had been waiting for all my life. "I love you handsome" a beautiful soprano came from her end. "I miss you and I can't wait to see you" that's all that I managed to utter out of excitement. Her voice set the mood for my day. It was well with my soul. I waded across the kitchen to the bedroom and every point in my new house fixing all that seemed off place. It was a good day indeed.

A faint knock at the door symbolized a tired fella. I waited for two more seconds before I shouted a welcome and the door swang open. My friend June was at the door hesitant to take a step in. "You coming in or not?" She still stood there like a statue. I went to collect her and she jumped on me giving me that i-miss-you-so-much hug and I returned it with the same energy. She told me she'd just landed and thought she could surprise me. June was a friend of mine whose cute friends I had all laid thanks to her generosity. She always made sure I got laid once in a while and that was good worthwhile. Every man needs such a friend especially if you are in Nairobi and a fan of entanglements. I sat her down with a glass of Delmonte Apple juice and cookies that I had bought earlier on my way from the mall. We chatted the evening away till it was late into the night. I saw her off and made sure she was home safe before I was back at my place.

Ciku was home so late into the night and I wondered if she was on a bus or a tuk-tuk for that case. She'd taken longer than the usual travel hours from the slopes of Mount Kenya to the city. I ushered her into my new room and served her supper after she had taken a shower. We chatted the night away telling stories of what went on during our vacations in our respective homes. She had the best of times unlike me who had to quarrel with one of my uncles and an absent dad whom I had to face and tell what I really felt deep down in my heart. I had poured out my heart and he was never happy with my words. He even had threatened to disown me. Funny, right? Getting disowned by a father who was never there the whole of your life. It was hilarious and I found myself laughing at his angry face. I mean the only way he had contributed to my life was making sure I had three names, his included. Deadbeat.