Chapter 14

The brotherhood all take their part in drinking my blood to begin their torture of taking my pure soul from me, preparing me for Darc's turn. Horace supplied the 'Nerve killers' which was some kind of special venom they could excrete into their victims. I can't feel any pain, but I can feel a different kind of strange pleasure from my soul itself. Free of the weight of gravity.

Solomon and Fane have their fangs in my wrists, Ash drinks from my inner thigh, his face boldly between my legs. Horace bites hard into my ankle.

Darc watches on with his fingers in my hair, brushing the wet strands off my face.

I was sweating, my body reacting, even though I couldn't fight.

I had my memories back.

But this was the price.

"Enough," Darc speaks to his brothers, but as they pull away from me, I watch the wounds spill some silver blood and then seal shut with my angel strength.

Even though it's a quick healing time, it's still horrible seeing my essence being taken by such demonic creatures. They were all lost to a life of taking from another. Of living off other's souls.

Darc unties my wrists and I still feel nothing, even as he picks me up and carries me to his personal room in the Crypt.

My head lolls back as he lays me down on a hard and large metal table.

This bedroom, wasn't exactly that.

They didn't need to sleep, so even though Darc was a specialist in dreams, and the dreaming plane – he owns his very own torture chamber. To interrogate their enemies, but now I am simply laid out naked before him in a room of hell.

Darc is casually standing between my legs, his clothes still on – as he leans over my face and grabs my chin, pushing my chin back. His cheek brushes my jaw as he dives into kiss my neck. He stays in one place, and when I feel my heart beat harder – I know he is actually drinking my blood, I just couldn't feel him dig in to taste.

I think I'm going to die briefly again like I did on that sacrificial alter in the Temple of Distortion, but out of nowhere, something enters my system.

A wave of his own bloody magic – pulls me into another place.

A dream.

I'm in a black space with endless nothing, no sound, no temperature, just nothing. I feel like I'm floating, which is nice – and I'm not alone.

Darc is right there with me, dancing flush with me, his hand on my waist, and his long slender fingers holding my hand up high as he spins us around, dressed as a teacher once more. It's how he identifies himself. A teacher.

I remember his passion in guiding students, it's one of my original pulls toward him, such a typical quality of a guardian angel. And he needed my help now.

It's such a pretty illusion, as we twirl around and he guides me, while I tilt my head with a question.

"Look up," Darc suggests.

I glance upward and I see a single star in the black sky.

"What's that?" I wonder.

"The only thing you need," Darc sounds adamant about that. And what is that? "I'll be your guide in the dark, Wynter."

I finally look back down, from the flickering little light, into Darc's red vampiric gaze.

Evil.

And comfortable with it.

"I'm at your mercy," I correct him, "Aren't I?"

"You were victim to the rot," Darc explains, "...but I'm not rot..."