Chapter 15

1 week later

I had two choices.

Let them out of their prison to keep my virginity and purity intact.

Or – the original deal, I had my memories back, so I had to sleep with Darc.

Both options were frustrating. I would most likely fall, my blood would turn red and I would lose my wings if I allowed myself to be wooed by Darc's charm. To be taken to bed by him, I knew would ruin me forever.

To let them out of their prison, seemed like the jackpot. Darc would most likely kill Armando. His hate was strong for my murderer already in the first place. That was good. But... every other freedom would be granted. Out of their prison, I could become a fun little snack.

All this playing around with me in Dark Academy, was a grande manipulation. To get them out.

They had been willing to kill me, without even asking if I would just let them go. Keeping my memories from me for so long had been torture and a punishment for their original imprisonment.

Merriment and fun for them. Darc was sadistic, as were all his brothers.

I've had to rehearse all this, all day, each day this week as my wings grew.

Otherwise? It was easy to be seduced by their easy ways in the Academy.

So while I chanted reminders to myself that they were evil at the core, I buried myself in the study of their ways.

Studying demons was a surprisingly good outlet. I could avoid them all brooding while my wings grew back, and my head hidden in a book.

The problem was the time.

It was soon.

Today in fact.

I had to make a decision today. And I felt no closer to resolution nor clarity.

I needed more information, so I seek out the one I know least, the one who almost hangs back away from me, unless my back was turned. It was something I noticed about Ash as I observed them all closely. Ash was particularly mysterious.

They've all noticed my wings, bursting wide this morning. It's finally a weekend, and I spend it in my guest room window, facing the foreboding forest.

I'm not hungry, I never am down here.

While the fog creeps in and breathes out, in and out, I feel his presence in the doorway – pacing by on his secret rounds. I had learned to look for him in mirrors or lengthening shadows.

Ash watches me while I watch the forest.

"You're the opposite to Darc. A shadow twin? Born Under? If Darc is a Vampire of Dreams, and you are a Vampire of Dishonour, what is it exactly you do or represent? How are you the same but different?" I speak to the forest, but by the end, I turn and sit my butt on the window sill, my wings out the window in the air, stretching wide.

Ash has entered my room and closes my door, since I've invited him forward with a question. I raise a brow at him getting us alone as he leans back on my main exit, seemingly blocking me in.

Ash tells me straight, "To be honourable is to care about your image, to uphold yourself in high regard in another's eye. But I do not act to prove myself. Darc... he plays with your heart, because dreams come from the heart, more than our mind. I don't care about that. I'm selfish. I don't ask. I don't play games like him. And I won't warn you, either," Ash's smile does that soft inviting trick Darc did briefly warn me about. About Ash and Fane's sweet quiet persona.