Chapter 4.5- The Cop (2/?)

You awoke to the sound of labored breathing and wind caressing your body. You tilt your head back as your vision succumbs to reality, revealing trees slowly going by. Your head spun with an irritating pounding. You shift your gaze towards the arm that held your shoulder, and traced it up to a face. You knew it all too well and you flinch. Avak. He survived. You were partially confused, why would the police officers attack you?

"Thank god, you're a lot heavier than you think you are-" he breathed, setting you down as he leaned against the tree, his hands scrabbling behind him to hold his body up against the tree. You groaned quietly and grabbed your head, rolling to your side. Avak took one hand off the tree to rest on his stomach, out of the corner of your eye you saw his head tip down.

  Looking over your shoulder all you saw was red. Avak's stomach was completely red. Startled, you crawl back a bit. "Av-Avak your stom—"

"Yeah, yeah I know." He growled a bit, grinding his teeth as he closed his eyes. He opened them and looked at his hand, panting slightly. He stifled a small chuckle, looking up at you. "Blood is kinda hot. And you're lucky I took the bullet, I don't think you're all that durable." He teased.

You blinked slowly. A bloody kink? That's the first. You grimaced and looked away. You thought you got rid of your disgust over the sight of blood, but oh boy you were wrong. You could even hear the sound of the blood patting the ground as Avak's panting worsened. You shook your head and sat up, looking over. "That's what you deserve." You hissed, death glaring the man in front of you. Avak smiled a bit.

"You..can tell that, to th..the damn mafia after you..." he chuckled breathlessly as he groaned in pain. A terrible way to go... You thought, but violently pushed the thought to the side as you recalled he literally kidnapped you. He slid down the tree as his eyes drifted shut. You then recalled how he was the one that saved your life. And the mafia thing, or whoever is after you-could've killed you. That's twice now.

But this is your chance to get out of here. To move on to better places. You could have a normal life again, you just have to get away from him. You use the trees around you to pull yourself up. You were athletic so it was easy to pull yourself up. You put pressure on your legs and it didn't hurt as bad, only merely uncomfortable. You look at Avak, who had gone limp against the tree. You stayed for a moment to see if he was breathing still, and when you found out he was you sighed, using the trees to guide you away, deeper into the woods.

It was getting dark out, which you didn't like. It was hard to see. You had gathered some sticks and leaves, before digging a decent sized hole in the ground. You place the wood into the hole and stared at it, realizing that the wood was damp, and it would be hard to start a fire. You sat there in silence on the dampened soil, your body shivering from the cold front that had slowed past the city, as if it wanted you to suffer. You kind of liked the cold, but the snow was pretty to you. Light snow. Falling elegantly to the ground as it piled up, hot chocolate by the fireplace in a makeshift hammock, covered by a layer of thick and wide leaves that were soon going to fall as winter settled. You missed it. Your stomach growled, causing you to look down at it. You could get a meal while you're at it, too. Then Avak came into mind. You left a man in the woods, with a gunshot wound to his abdomen. You look to the direction where you came from, frowning. You could go back...but you chose this. You can be free again, you just have to get far away. You could get him up on his feet again, then use him for shelter and protection. Yes. Surely he can hunt.

  You stand, pulling yourself up by a nearby branch you pace towards Avak. After a few minutes you come across the limp body. Your eyes widened. Was he dead? There was a small movement which relieved you, yet you still felt guilty. You kicked his shin and his eyes opened slowly, finding your gaze. His eyes looked dimmer almost. "Oh, you...you're back, how sweet..." he breathed out, chuckling slowly as the blood pushed out of his wound. You hated the sight.

"Tell me what to do." You demanded. Avak looked at you, his eyes closing as he grinned, his tongue sliding across his teeth slowly as blood trickled from his mouth. You shuddered slightly at the action and crouched. Avak swatted your hand away quickly, scaring you.

"Don't touch me." His eyes pierced your soul and you backed off at his sudden demand.

"Suit yourself." You growl. You needed him alive, but it was his fault. So be it. You stepped away from him and gave him a death glare that he returned. A low glow came from his eyes, that gradually lowered. Your eyes met his before trailing down to the wound. Stepping back as his body seemed to be stitching itself together your eyes widened in amazement, as well as fear before backing up further. You tripped over a log. The blood stopped gushing and it was only trickling. His eyes stopped glowing and you just scoffed. "What was that for?"

"Healing, dumbass. I'm tired, so if you need something tell me n-"

"Fire. I need you to make a fire." You muttered and he smiled at you. He got up slowly, his breathing was less intense.

Leading him to the pit you sit near it. Avak's hand alit into a beautiful blue-orange flame. It danced around his hand you you stared at it. His hand lowered and rested on the pike, setting it ablaze. "There." He says back, the fire going away as he leaned against a rock. He leaned forward to slip his bloodied shirt off, and you scoff.

"Really-" you were chatty ever since you left the house. Maybe it was the nature around you, maybe it was the fact you didn't die. "In front of me?"

"Don't see you lookin away." He added, rubbing away the access blood before tossing it onto the pile. The flame connected and enveloped the shirt, a crimson burst of flame catching you off guard as you jumped. He simply chuckled and closed his eyes.

You grumble under his breath and nudge the fire with a long, thin stick. The fire crackling was satisfying to you. You looked at Avak, who seemed to be unconscious in sleep. You held your hands up to the fire, and scooted closer to Avak. You could steal his body heat. You two weren't extremely close, but you were a good few inches away as you enveloped yourself in the heat Avak was giving off behind you, and the fire in front of you.