one | the sweet barmaid

☼

chapter one | the sweet barmaid
episode one

There was something about Ketterdam that struck Neave. During the day, the city woke with a peaceful hustle as the working day began. Come night, the atmosphere dramatically changed, particularly in the Barrel — a pleasure district that came to life once the sun had set. It was a place where Neave spent the majority of her time with one place being the Crow Club where she had worked at for quite some time now.

Ketterdam came when Neave had needed it most. For so long Neave had been stuck, surrounded by nothing but the small farm that she and her mother had lived on. At times, Neave had snuck out to the local town out of boredom, but even then it wasn't anything worth risking her mother's wrath about.

"A child like you will be plucked, Little Rose," her mother had always reminded her, upon catching her child leaving or returning. "You will be stolen to be exploited or paid to the highest bidder. Or worse: someone will kill you."

Neave knew that — of course, she did. But she also knew that life was supposed to be about more than simply just surviving, and as long as Neave kept her power a secret, then what harm could there be?

After all, she had survived all this time at the Crow Club, which was full to the brim with dangerous men and women, who would give her mother a heart attack. One man in particular — Kaz Brekker — was known as Dirtyhands (Neave had done her research after meeting him, just like he had on her), and Neave knew without a doubt that if he ever found out about herself, then he would pay good money for someone like her, or simply steal her before anyone else got the chance to.

See, after being employed, Kaz Brekker had Neave followed as he came up short with nothing more than a happy girl, who spent her day off picking flowers and purchasing muffins. On her first shift, Neave had handed out those muffins, stealing the hearts of the Crow Club before she had even served her first drink.

Kaz Brekker might be the Bastard of the Barrel, but Neave Villena had become the Darling of the Barrel; no one could say a bad word about the girl nor would any harm come to her. No one knew if it was the threat of Kaz that kept the men at bay or the gossip about Neave being more than just a pretty face, but Neave had achieved the ideal image she had wanted to set for herself.

After all, who would expect an innocent girl to be so corrupt?

"Darling, please!" A gambler now called for attention, to which Neave tried her best to suppress a sigh as she forced a happy smile. "Drinks here. Drinks all around here, please."

"The usual, I suppose?" Neave questioned the gentleman.

"Yes, yes," he confirmed. "Hey, you take Zemeni coin, yes?"