ten | father vs daughter

☼

chapter ten | father vs daughter
episode six

Darkness had descended as the four sit in the old tavern, discussing what came next now that had lost Alina likely for good. Whatever conflict that had arisen between Inej and Kaz had been distinguished for the moment. Time was ticking and they needed to decide whether to cut their losses and flee or stick around to find Alina.

And, of course, those decisions included the risk of Neave. To stay would result in her father getting closer in his search to find her. They needed to leave — quickly at that too — but they couldn't return empty-handed.

Then, suddenly, there's an explosion that decided for them. Neave gripped the table, eyes growing wide as her irises collide with Jesper's, who seemed far tenser than surprised. Around them, the crowd scream, starting to stand and leave.

"Our alarm," Jesper explained.

"He's here," Neave whispered, becoming pale. "Saints save me."

"He won't take you," Inej vowed.

Those dark eyes held hope that Neave tried so hard to believe in. But the thought of Inej — of any of them — getting caught in the crossfire didn't settle right.

He's coming. He's coming. He's coming.

Either way, Neave had to get out — alive or dead.

"Split up," Kaz instructed. "Much easier to take a Grisha one-on-one than a whole squad of them." Jesper twirled his guns in preparation, agreeing with Kaz. "Rendezvous at the fountain."

"You want me to run alone?" Neave questioned, surprised.

"It'll be too obvious if you stick with us," said Kaz. "Your best bet is fleeing and blending in. But Neave, you better be at the fountains later on."

"I will," she reassured them all. "The three of you are all I have left."

Inej's eyes slid to Neave for a second time, wide in concern as Neave nodded — a promise that she would be fine. They would all make it back to the meeting point alive and well.

Neave pulled up the hood of her coat, following behind the three as they left. Keeping her head down, she followed with her heart hammering with each step, unknowing of what was to come.

If the Saints were listening, then she prayed that they would make it through the night.

The three came to a stop with Neave glancing up, hidden behind Jesper as her eyes fell on three Grisha. Two wore blue and one red — in a split second, Neave summarised three different Grisha: tidemaker, heartrender and an inferni.

"No!" The inferni woman cried, eyes blazing with fury as she stared at Inej.

"Move!" Kaz shouted.

Neave didn't need to be told twice as she darted.