seventeen | the aftermath

☼

chapter seventeen | the aftermath
episode one

"Kill or be killed, my rose. No one can know."

Neave felt uneasy with her sudden exposure. The three crows knowing had been one thing, where in the end, Neave had felt comfort in the naive belief that she belonged with them. Now, however, it felt as if her secrets were spilling through the cracks.

If a privateer knew, then who else had figured out the truth?

Using her real name in a city like Ketterdam had been a foolish mistake. Of course, the Villena name would connect her to the First Army and then the Darkling himself, but Neave had not known the depths of her past.

Now her fingers fiddled with the rose necklace around her neck, frightened that she had let her mother down — worse, that Neave's secret had emerged from the shadows.

"We are in the literal bottom of the Barrel," Jesper commented from next to Neave.

It was true, they had reached a new low. There was more dark than light here with the darkness creeping at Neave, who feared her father might jump out at any moment.

"Stadwatch don't patrol down here," said Kaz. "We're safer. Inej, what did you find?"

Inej appeared next to Neave, which came as an instant relief. Though, while Neave felt the tension in her body to loosen, Jesper jumped at the wraith's sudden arrival.

"We're accused of murdering Tante Heleen," Inej inform them.

"Wait, what?" Jesper responded.

"Tante Heleen?" Neave repeated, shocked.

"We didn't do that, though," said Jesper before his eyes were on Inej again. "Wait, did you do that?"

At the accusation, Inej shot him a look.

"It was Pekka Rollins, wasn't it?" Kaz guessed. "He framed us for murder."

"He wanted to punish us for taking the job after he warned you off," Inej said.

"But why take it out on Tante Heleen?" Jesper questioned.

"She held the deed to the Crow Club," Kaz explained. "We cut a deal so Inej could help us with the Sun Summoner, so Rollins killed her."

"He owns the club," said Inej. "Everyone who works there now works for Pekka Rollins."

"Oh, no," Neave's fingers returned to her necklace as she thought of her colleagues.

"There's more," Inej continued as she rolled up her sleeve with Neave's eyes falling to her wrist, feeling her heart tighten.

"No," Neave whispered.