n i n e

far too young to die // panic! at the disco

I didn't sleep. No, I couldn't sleep. So once I'd heard the steady slow breathing of my two companions beside me, I slipped out of the truck and into the darkness. What had I planned to do? I don't really know. But walking outside was definitely better than sitting still and letting thoughts cloud my mind. Besides, my head hurt less once I got outside.

I wasn't gifted with night vision so I had to be extra careful where I stepped. I didn't want to stumble upon a pack of Cranks feasting on dead bodies now, do I? I peeked past the alleyway entrance and was surprised to see that some lights were lit. It didn't make any sense, where would they get the electricity? Unless those were fires but it was white light, not the distinct yellow orange light that fires gave off.

I was suddenly curious. Then I heard music. Wait what? I listened again and it was definitely there. I took the chance and went into the alley where the sounds were coming from. At the very end of the alley, I reached a wall of cracked and faded bricks, where four stairs led down to a scratched and worn wooden door. Just above the door, there was a tiny rectangle of a window, its glass missing. One broken shard still hung at the top, like a jagged tooth. I could hear loud music playing. It was intense and fast, the bass powerful, drums banging and beats dropping. Mixed in were the sounds of people laughing and shouting and singing along. And none of it sounded very...sane. There was something creepy and disturbing about it. I should definitely get out of here. But as I turned to exit the alley, two figures stood blocking it. I was hoping they didn't see me but it was too late.

One of them pointed at me and stepped forwards, not close enough to allow me to see his face. I waited for him to walk into the light and I was surprised when I saw him. He was a normal teenager, maybe in his early twenties with blonde hair and dark blue eyes. His jacket was the only dirty thing about him, apart from his boots that were caked in dust. Other than that he seemed pretty normal. The other male stood beside him now, clad in a black sweatshirt, black jeans and similar boots, he had brown eyes, black hair and cheekbones and a jaw line that could cut through diamonds.

"Hey!" the first one said and I immediately stopped moving. "What's a lady like you doing out here alone in this hour?" he came close-too close for my liking, pulled my hair out of the bun I put it in and started touching my dark wavy hair as it fell down my shoulders.

"I was just uh..." I said, though I was very intimidated by the two of them. They were Cranks, that was plain to see but they were more Gone than I was comfortable with. "Just taking a look around, is all. Seeing if my friends were there but they weren't so I think I gotta go."

"Did you check inside?" he asked as he kept caressing my hair. "Let's go see. Maybe we could find them for you." By the sound of his voice it was clear he wasn't taking no as an answer. Nor do I have much choice. The dark haired gentleman stood against the wall, just watching us. Me especially.

"I really don't think that would be a good idea." I took my hair and let it fall over the other shoulder so he couldn't touch it anymore and stepped back. Once again, shooting them became the first thing on my mind but there was a whole room full of Cranks close by and they would hear the shots over the music for sure. There weren't many options and that terrified me.

"Really now? Cau-" he started.

"Stop being such an asshole, Troye. Can't you see you're scaring her?" the dark haired boy spoke with a slight foreign accent sort of like Newt's.

"Isn't that the point, Zayn?" Troye rolled his eyes.

Zayn ignored him and looked at me. "You really have no choice here, love. Just come with us. It won't hurt you." He held his hand out for me to take. I looked at his eyes once and took it.