t w e l v e

the kids aren't alright // fall out boy

This was the epitome of disappointing. I looked around and saw everybody else staring at it with a blank expression.

"No, this can't be it." Thomas said with furrowed eyebrows.

"We've still got some time," I replied. "We'll see."

"I have a bad feeling about this." Teresa said, looking between Thomas and I.

"Whatever, traitor." Minho scoffed at her.

She glared at him. "I'm done with apologizing. I did what I had to do." She snapped.

Brenda came up to us just then, but before she could say anything, I pat Thomas on the back and said, "Good luck," and I walked away. I did not want to be caught up in the middle of what's going on between Thomas, Brenda and Teresa.

I went to sit beside Newt and a couple of other Gladers plus Zayn that looked like they were just waiting for the end of the world.

"Glad you're still alive, Sanza." Zayn sounded impressed as he stood, put an arm around me and gave me a squeeze. "Almost gave me a heart attack there worryin' about you."

We sat back down. "I'm glad about it too." I stated dryly, not having the energy to retort something else positive. He seemed to look better than when I had left them.

The tearing wind had gained a moisture to it, and the billowing, churning clouds above us had lowered considerably, like a dark fog dropping to swallow the earth. Glimpses of light flashed here and there in the sky, burning patches of purple and orange in the grayness. I hadn't seen an actual lightning bolt yet, but I knew they were coming. The first big storm had begun just like this.

Thomas followed and sat beside me after a few moments, looking all bothered and not in the mood. It was then that Minho, Newt and Frypan kept pestering him about what happened. He sucked in a deep breath and started talking. He told them about WICKED's plan for him, the camp, his talk with Group B, the gas chamber. He felt that none of it made sense, but he did feel a little better after telling. I stayed silent through all of it.

"And you forgave that witch?" Minho asked when Thomas finally finished. "I won't. Whatever those shuck WICKED people wanna do, fine by me. Whatever you wanna do, fine by me. But I don't trust her, I don't trust Aris, and I don't like either one of them."

"I'm with Minho on this one." I sighed, taking my hands through my hair and re-tying it securely. "After what they've done...I can't trust them like before."

Newt seemed to consider it more deeply. "They went through all that-all that planning and acting-just to make you feel betrayed? Doesn't make any bloody sense."

"Tell me about it," Thomas muttered. "And no, I haven't forgiven her. But for now I think we're in the same boat."

I looked around-most people were sitting down, staring off into the distance. Not much conversation, and not a whole lot of mingling between the two groups.

"What about you guys? How'd you make it here?" I asked, my attention going back to the conversation.

"We followed the trail we found," Minho answered. "We didn't meet anyone along the way, it was a good trip, I'd say."

"You think we should bag this and head for the mountains before the sky explodes on us?" Thomas peered up at the sky with a grimace.

"Oh hell no." Newt answered immediately. "We didn't come this far just to go back now. Let's hope this storm holds off for a bit longer."