t e n

heart upon my sleeve // avicii

I was left staring into the sky long after the berg was gone. The intense heat, sunlight and dust were nothing compared to the thoughts that consumed me. Eventually Thomas dragged me out of the sun and into a small structure they found. It was more of a ruin, actually, one of the structures that were built the farthest away from the city. There I saw the rest of them, some trying to sleep, some just sat against the walls and some talking quietly, they all grew silent when I entered.

I sat down near Thomas and Newt as Thomas handed me a water bottle. "Thanks." I said, my voice rough and scratchy from all the shouting I did. I looked at the other two as I drank. "So what now?"

"Now?" Minho said, carefully looking between me, Newt and Thomas. "You lot need to get some sleep and rest. Once the sun is down we head for the mountains."

"Okay," I said in response, leaning back. But once again, my eyes refused to cooperate.

I felt Newt shift beside me. "So, how'd you come across that Zayn fellow? I thought you were with Thomas and Brenda. I mean, we just assumed."

I turned to face him, our faces just a few inches apart. "I was," I told him. "She led us to a truck where we were supposed to spend the night but I couldn't sleep. And for some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to take a look around. Then I stumbled upon Zayn and his friend. He sort of saved me from him and dragged me away from some other Cranks."

"Well, he seemed...nice." He said, probably recalling their brief encounter.

"He was," I nodded. "I wonder why they got him, what they're doing to him, if he's still alive."

"I think they were going to help him. What else are they gonna do with a guy that's been shot in the arm?"

"Kill him?" I suggested. "WICKED's an expert at that. Maybe they took him because he knew too much."

"You told him about all of this?" he asked but it didn't need an answer.

A long silence lapsed between us. And I closed my eyes.

"Wait," he suddenly said, making my eyes shoot open.

"What?" I asked, as I saw Minho peer out the door.

"There it is again," Minho said before darting out the door after something.

I stood up as I heard the heavy engines. It was a berg. Another one...or the same one, I couldn't really tell. This time a body was dangling from underneath it. It was Zayn! They were giving him back! I ran after Minho with other Gladers flanking me. By the time I reached Zayn, the berg was off again and he was being supported by Minho with one arm. I took the other arm around my shoulders.

"Careful," he hissed, wincing.

"Sorry," I silently apologized.

We quickly hauled him inside the small building and propped him up against the wall. I noticed he had a white bandage expertly wrapped around his shoulder, and instead of wearing the black sweatshirt, he now wore a clean grey shirt. But he looked noticeably paler than when he left.

Thomas knelt beside him. "Hey, man. Thanks for pushing me back there, I owe you big time." I smiled at this but he continued. "But why'd you do it?"

Zayn pursed his lips as if he knew this was coming. "Because you were Thomas." His hazel eyes swept across all of us. "I'm not stupid, I saw all the signs. It had got to mean something."

"Wait, what signs?" I said, extremely confused.

"What do you mean what signs?" Zayn replied with equal confusion. "They're all over town."