12 - In the avenues and alleyways

An oddity in Anderson's canon, the two seasons of The Protectors was released with big gaps between them. The first season was released on 24th June 2002, and the second on 12th May 2003. They were available in complete box sets or as individual sets - at £15.99 each, and all in mono sound as per usual, and rated at a PG. Designed in basic covers of colours changing per volume at the top (with the logo) and bottom of the front with a picture in the centre, and the details of episodes at the back. The fronts featured "Produced by Gerry Anderson" followed by a list of the cast. The back featured this, "Gerry Anderson's first and only contemporary thriller series is the ultimate in jet-setting, high-kicking adventure! Harry Rule (Robert Vaughn) is an American lone wolf in London. Contessa di Contini (Nyree Dawn Porter) is a beautiful British aristo abroad. Paul Buchet (Tony Anholt) is a suave Parisian specialising in gadgetry. Together they are The Protectors - three intrepid international private detectives. Faced with intriguing crimes and dangerous adversaries, our heroes juggle sleuth, adventure and romance in fast-paced and unmissable adventures shot in some of the most exciting cities in the world". If only it was that good...

The menus are also very basic, with a background of colour and menus that are very simple and straightforward to navigate. But here are the episodes per disc and their extras; both series 1 and 2 discs featured on disc 1 episodes 1-8, disc 2 episodes 9-16, disc 3 episodes 17-26. Extras include stills galleries and a bio of Robert Vaughn (apparently there were also videos but I have found little evidence of them). To be honest, there is little else I can really say about the series because that was it for the Carlton era in terms of The Protectors. It has far more in common with the other crime drama ITC series in terms of its style of release than a Gerry Anderson release. Lots more merchandise would be released when it comes to W.I.N's most special agent...