Walk in the Park(er)

Desc: Set after Homecoming but before Infinity War. Civil War? Never heard of it. Basically Peter is a traumatized child and he needs some serious support. However, knowing Tony he can't exactly tell him about the whole 'building fell on top of me I almost died and had a full on panic attack' thing. He goes to Steve instead. Turns out to be a wise decision. Fluff and whump. I kinda don't like this one, but oh well I love the title to much not to post it. Steve is a loving uncle and you can't change my mind!

Word count: 759

"Hey, Captain Rogers, sir?" Peter called, walking up to Steve who was trying and failing to work the coffee maker.

"I've told you, Peter, call me Steve," Steve chuckled.

"R-right, okay, uh, Mister Steve," Peter shuffled his feet awkwardly. "I was wondering if you wanted to go for a walk?"

"Sure," Steve replied, shooting a glare at the coffee maker. "Not like I can get this thing to work anyway."

Peter beamed. "Awesome! I'll meet you downstairs!"

"What do you mean, you'll meet me—"

Peter tugged open the window, held out his web shooter, and swung out with a whoop. Steve tensed, panic welling up inside him, before he calmed enough to remember that Peter—to everyones horror—did this exact thing a lot.

Letting out breath, he muttered fondly, "You're going to be the death of me, Pete."

                                                     —Le Time Skip—

"Hey, Captain Rogers! Look at that!" Peter gasped, pointing downwards.

The pair had wondered to Central Park, the beautiful spring flowers and gorgeous green trees beckoning to them. The weather was perfect, a sublime balance between cool and warm, and the few clouds in the sky were puffy and meandered by at a gentle pace.

Steve looked down, grinning at Peter's enthusiasm. Sitting on a daisy at their feet, was a small, bright blue, dainty butterfly. It fluttered its wings gracefully, making Peter's smile widen even further.

"It's so pretty!" Peter murmured, bending down and staring at the insect intently.

"Agreed," Steve returned.

After a moment or two, Peter stood back up slowly, careful not to startle the butterfly, and they continued strolling down the paved pathway.

"Hey, Peter," Peter turned to look at him. "If you don't mind me asking, is there any particular reason why you asked me here? You and Tony are obviously closer and you easily could have asked him to come instead of me. Not that I don't enjoy walking with you, of course."
Peter squirmed, seeming to consider his next words.

"Um, actually, yeah..." Peter sighed. "Theres something I want to talk about, but if I tell Tony he'll freak out and probably lock me in the Tower for the rest of my life, and you seem like the kind of person who would understand, so..."

"It's alright, I don't mind listening," Steve said.

"Okay, so, you know that Vulture guy I fought a while back?" Steve nodded. "Um, when we were fighting in that warehouse...he...uh...I didn't tell you guys the whole story. I did get out of the warehouse, but it wasn't because he thought he hit me but didn't...he um, he destroyed all the-the beams holding the building up, and i-it collapsed," Peter sniffled, a tear falling down his face. "R-right on top of me. A-and I was so scared. So so scared. I th-thought I was gonna die, and it hurt. Captain Rogers, it was so awful, and I w-was all alone, with no-no one to h-help me. But then I thought about M-Mister Stark, and h-how s-sad he and May would be i-if I...didn't make i-it. So I lifted it. A-and I got o-out, and I'm fine now, but I s-still have nightmares, and if I e-ever get stuck in small places I p-panic, but I didn't want to t-tell Mister S-Stark because he would b-blame himself ev-even though it was all m-my fault!"

"That must have been terrifying," Steve said sadly.

Peter nodded sorrowfully.

"You're a very brave young man, you know that, Pete?"

"I-I'm not—"

"You are. One of the bravest I've ever had the pleasure to meet. And I fought in a war, for gods sake! You have more compassion, intelligence, courage, and kindness than ten normal people combined. Never forget that, okay?" Steve put a hand on Peter's shoulder.

"B-but I panicked, I could've done more, but I was too scared, I w-wasn't strong eno-nough!"

"But despite all that, you pushed through, and continued doing just as scary or scarier things. Not because you weren't fearful, but because you cared about people enough to fight that fear. And that is true courage." Steve smiled softly.

"Y-yeah...?" Peter asked quietly.

"Yeah."

Peter was silent for a moment. "Thanks, Capta—Steve. Thanks, Steve."

"You're welcome, Peter," Steve replied fondly.

Peter smiled up at him.

"You're going to have to tell Tony about that, though."

Peter shot him an exasperated look.

He didn't mean it.