Prologue

Prologue

Mirae

I cannot see a single thing right now.

Every step I take,

I find myself tripping

and bumping

over things,

causing all my muscles to ache

and my body to bleed all over.

But it's okay.

It's okay...

Because God said, "it won't always be this dark."

—Mirae, June 26

Closing the burgundy notebook, I exhale a deep sigh. This is what I always do. When I feel down, sad, or crushed in spirit. I always flip through the pages of my notebook to recall all the written promises that God gave me through every journey and trials I went through.

It won't always be this dark.

I like it when He promised that it won't always be this dark. Like this darkness that has been blinding me for years now has an ending.

But how long? How long do I still have to wait until I finally see? Even just a spark... a glimpse of light... something... something to keep me going.

To keep me stand still.

To regain my confidence that I am not alone through this dark valley.

That even when I have tripped and fall multiple times, I will get to the other side where I can finally see a glimpse of light.

That all the pain and hell that I have to go through aren't futile.

That it won't always be this painful forever.

It won't, right?

This shall pass... right?

I startle from where I'm seated the second I hear the thunder roars from the outside of my office. The lightning that managed to flash through my dim office, made me flinch.

I open the drawer of my table, putting the notebook back and then I closed it again before getting up from my chair.

I have to check the kids. Especially Raeven. She's coping well through the past months that she's been staying here under our care, but there are still some times where she just snaps. I want to be there for her, I want to give her a glimpse of light even I, myself, couldn't see anything but black.

I walk towards the window of my office. I slightly open the curtain so that I could take a peek outside. The rain is falling hard and the strong blow of the wind is causing some raindrops to land on the porch.

I have to tell someone first thing in the morning to mop the water. The kids might slip and fracture their bones if I don't. Knowing how hyperactive they could be, one will break a bone or two if we leave the porch wet.

I was about to close the curtains but a woman in a hoodie that's walking in the rain with a box in her arms freeze me on my tracks.

She's still walking and she's all wet and soaking from the heavy rainfall.

The rain keeps falling.

The thunder keeps roaring.

And as the lightning strikes, I notice that the color of her hoodie is red.