Chapter One: Crossing Over

It was...different.

The once glorious and prosperous country of Skyrim seemed over run by bandits and ragabonds. Yet, it was oddly comforting. Sure the warm sands of Elsweyr was a nice chance, but like every Nord the call of the mountains was to strong to ignore. I would pick the harshly cold lands of Skyrim over all of the Empire's gold anyday.

'Why don't you stay here where the sun always warms your back?' I chuckle at Z'marzo's comment that still rung in my head. He took me in when I ran away from the shadows that once haunted this place. Became a true father figure to me. We parted with the promise to keep in close contact no matter where I ended up.

My worn boots I found next to a disregarded wagon made a slight thud against the average cobblestone road. The slightly tattered skirts of my working dress lightly brushed against me legs. As I walked, the slightly audible clinking of my septums rang out from the money pouch wound through my belt. Today was a rare day that the sun shown without any clouds to cover it, and it was nice.

The tops of houses appeared out of the horizon, and I quickened my step. Once I reach the arch that marked the entrance to the city, I read the well kept sign.

"Falkreath." I mumble, a grin on my face. Slowly, I walk into the city and look at the sky. It was blue with only a few clouds dotting the sky. Suddenly, I bump into something strong and tall. I stumble backwards and was about to fall when suddenly a gruff hand grabbed my wrist. "I am so sorry, I didn't see you there." I stamper, looking up at the guard. He gave a chuckle and helped me stand up straight.

"I should be apologizing to such a pretty maiden like you. Are you lost?" He asks, the helmet muffling his words. I give a little chuckle and smooth my skirts out uncomfortably.

"I haven't been in Falkreath for a long time, actually I haven't been in Skyrim in general for many years." I say, the guard tilts his head to the side.

"You sound like one of those cats in the caravans." Comments the guard, I shrug without giving any explication. "Well, down the road is the Dead Man's Drink. Can warm yourself up with some sweet mead and rent a room."

"Thank you. Do you know where the nearest carriage is?" I ask. The guard looks up thoughtfully.

"The closest one that is safe, that is Whiterun. You just follow this main road till you get to Riverwood. There is the Sleeping Giant Inn where you can rest up before heading to Whiterun." He said, pointing down the road. I give him my thanks and jog my way up to the Dead Man's Drink. The sweet smell of mead was comforting as I pushed through the door. A roaring fire met me and reminded me of Elsweyr. Quickly, I pay for my room and fall on to my bed, snuggling into the warm pelts of rabbits. Letting out a long sigh of content, I close my eyes and drift into the wonderful kingdom of sleep.

~~~

"Come on! It was be fun." Pleads the little boy, his shaggy red hair making his green eyes look even more bright with enthusiasm. A little girl wrung her hands nervously, looking down at the boy from the slanted roof.

"Do you promise to catch me?" She squeaks, her voice an octave higher with fear. The boy laughs and spread his arms open.

"When have I ever let you fall?" He asks. The girl looks deeply in to his eyes, trying to see of he meant it. Slowly, she puts her hands by her sides and took a deep breath in. Pushing off with her legs the girl launched in to the air. For one amazing second, she was airborne.

Then she fell to the ground.

~~~

I woke up to the shaking of the bar keeper, gruffly telling me that my rent was up. Giving him a warm smile, I quickly apologize and gratefully take his extended hand. He pulls me up and I slightly stubble into him. My expert fingers dip into his money pouch and pull out the ten septums he had strung on a leather strap.

I quickly apologize and hustle out of the Inn before he could figure out what happened. A few clouds dotted the morning sky, but I could smell rain in the air. Looking around, I see a farmer loading up his carriage with his horse impatiently digging at the ground. I walk over to him and clasp my hands in front of me.

"Excuse me, you wouldn't happen to be heading to Riverwood, would you?" I ask, the old farmer looks at me and gives a grin.

"Yes, little lady, I am. Why are you asking?" Said the farmer. I risked my skirts and flag him my best innocent look.

"I need to head up to Riverwood so I can get to Whiterun." I answer truthfully. The garnet looks a little suspicious so I pull out the ten septums I had 'borrowed' from the bar tender. "I can pay."

"Oh no, I don't need money. Can I ask a favor though?" Asked the farmer, a little quietly. I look at him questioningly and carefully tuck the coins back on my pouch. The farmer leans close and checks to see if anyone is looking. "I am a batch of lettuce short from the order, and harvest Gant been real good this time around. Do you think you can change the order so it fits what I have? It will help a lot."

"I can do that," I say, the farmer's eyes brighten and he fishes out a crumpled piece of parchment. He thrusts it into my hands and I walk over to the back of his wagon. I pull a well of ink and a blank parchment out of my pocket and begin to make the fake order. Hey, you learn a few things when you grow up among thieves.

Once the fake order it made, the farmer sets me up in front with him. We ride along the cobblestone road, bouncing every which way and that. Every now and then, the farmer would make idle tall; but I was more focused on the sights.

Everything has changed, I wonder if it fit the best...or worse.