Chapter Three: A Little Gold Never Hurt Anyone

"Here we are, little lady." said the carriage driver. I hop out of the back and take a deep breath. "I would watch my back if I were you. Riften is known for its criminal activity." With that, the carriage driver slapped the reins and turned back down the road to Whiterun. Stertching out my back, I walk up to the gate and mentally prepare myself.

"Hey, you." came the gruff voice of a guard. I look up to see one of Riften's burly guards standing in front of me. "You haven't paid the fee." I frown and roll my shoulders back.

"Fee? Last time I checked there was no fee." I counter, the guard squints his eyes through the helmet and crossed his arms.

"Yeah, well times are rough. So pay up." he growled, I sigh and shake my head.

"I know a shakedown when I see one." I say, looking at the other guards who seemed to be avoiding the situation. "Wouldn't you hate it if the Jarl heard about this?" The guard's eyes widen and he puts up his hands in defeat.

"No need to get offensive. Just let me open the gate." the guard whispered, hurrying to stick the key in the lock. Finally, after some fumbling around, the guard steps back. As I walk pass him, I throw a single septum at his feet.

"Put it towards some food." I say, not looking his way. Slowly, I push open the gates and let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. The retched scent of the canal reaching my nose and I fought back the urge to gag. My eyes widened when I saw what condition Riften had fallen to. The once prestine cobble roads were now taken over by the overgrow of weeds, and the polished wood I remembered what rotting away. Tears brimmmed my eyes as I walk along. What had happened? I mean the Rebellion couldn't have impacted this plce that bad could it? I was pulled out of my thoughts by a gruff man leaning on one of the wooden supports.

"What are you doing here?" he growls, squinting his eyes at me. I bend my head down a little bit and my muscles tense.

"Just passing through." I squeak, what has gotten in to me? Usually I am proud and mischevious.

"Well the Black-Briars don't need stewage like you to clog up their rule." he sneered, suddenly all of my fear is replaced by anger. I shot daggers at the brute and straigthen my shoulders.

"It takes one to know one." I spit, the brute grins at me.

"A fiesty one, you will fit in just fine. I am Maul." Said the man. I give him a smirk and he returns it before walking into the house behind him. Giving a sigh of annoyance, I walk over the wooden bridge, shouldering pass an argument going on between a angry looking girl and a Redguard man.

Making my way into the circle like market, I drift towards the jewelry stand. An exotic looking lizard is talking to a man dressed in expensive clothing. While he is occupied, I look over his glistening merchandise. I was slightly impressed, if these were sold to the right fencer...

"All of them are handmade." Comes the sky voice of the Argonian. I look up to see his eyes trained on me. "Would you like one, for a special someone?" I look back at the display cases and train my eyes on a dazzling good ring with a diamond set in it. Z'marzo would love a ring so beautiful in his inventory. I give a sad smile and shake my head.

"No, no one here that would recieve such a beauty from me." I respond. The Argonian gives a chuckle.

"Don't worry, a beautiful gem such as yourself will be getting showered in riches in no time." He says, I give him a smile and retreat out of the market. A hefty built building catches my eye with a hanging sign. The Bee and Barb, maybe I could stop for a afternoon snack and drink.

I step into the warm atmosphere of the Bee and Barb and take a deep breath. Sitting at a table, I ask the Argonian lady for a sweet roll and some Alto Wine. Taking a sip out of the drink, the familiar tingle of alcohol entered my system. Skyrim was known for its strong alcohol, even one bottle of wine could get you today. Slowly, I take bites out of the sweet roll, savoring every bite. The creak of a chair announces the arrival of a person beside me.

"With all that coin, I doubt you've worked an honest day in your life." Comes a voice, fuzz from the alcohol but somewhat familiar. I smile and take away the sweet roll from my mouth.

"Who hasn't dipped in a few pocket who aren't their own?" I ask taking the last bite of the succulent treat. A low chuckle sounded out and a man wearing fine clothes and head a head full of stringy hair leaned on to the table.

"Well, that is true. I take it you are from Elsweyr?" He asked, I lick my fingers and take another swig of the wine.

"Ten years, thought it was about time to come back." I say, the man smiles.

"Then you have trained with some very sly cats. If you want some extra coin, I could arrange something." He said, that indeed caught my attention. "You are intrigued, if you want the gig meet me in the market tomorrow." With that, the man gets up and leaves. I smirk and call over the Argonian to rent a room.

As I fall into the creaky bed, I groan abs flip on my back. Once I get enough money, I'm going to buy a nice chunk of land outside of Falkreath and build a nice home. Have beds full of feathers and an armory off to the side. My eyes closer and I fall into a sleep full of septums and a nice mansion but the lake.

~~~

The morning sun shone through my eyes, earning a his of hate from me. Z'marzo always said I was a vampire on the morning. Swinging my legs over the side of the bed, I stretch my arms over my head. I grab my coin purse I had left on the beside table and spent count all of the septums. Good, I still had the same amount I had yesterday. With quick movements, I rush down the stairs and run out into the open world that was Riften.

A low chuckle grabbed my attention and I turn to my right. Leaning on the wall was a man with red hair, his head bent slightly to the ground. I bounce up to him, a little more pep in my step.

"What's the job?" I ask with excitement, turning to look out at the market.

"A simple set up. Get Madesi's ring or from the stinging underneath his stand and plant out on Brand-Shei. The client wants-" I cut the man off with a giggle.

"I don't need to know why, just as long as I get paid." I say before heading off to the stand. The man's voice rang clear through the air, calling everyone one to check out a new potion of Falmer Blood. Quicky, using the lock picks that Z'marzo put in my pouch, I unlock the sliding door and open the lockbox. It was tempting to take all of Madesi's money, but I forced myself only to take the ring. Quietly, I sneak behind the crates the Brand-Shei was sitting on and slip the ring into his pocket. Standing up, I lean against the wall and watch the man keep distracting the people. A guard walked up behind me and I wave hin over.

"Yes, miss?" He asked, I leaned close.

"I am pretty sure I saw that man steak something from the jewelry stand." I say suspiciously, pointing at Brand-Shei. The guard gives me a nod and gestures to a few of his comrades. Storming into the market, the order Brand-Shei to empty his pockets. When he pulls out the ring, he insists that it was a set up. The guards drag him away, and I watch with a little smile.

"Well done."comes a low whisper from behind me, tickling my ear. The clink of septums run through my ears as a heavy bag drops on to the little stone wall. "You have got a knack for this sort of thing. If you think you can handle more, just got through the Ratway til you find a door with a diamond and a circle carved into it." I give a smirk and tuck the septums on my pouch. The retreat of steps tells me that the man was gone, leaving me with a decision.

Z'marzo always told me the life is full of choices, and to make them you have to have the right tools. Well, my curiosity was heightened, and the promise of gold was all of the icing on the sweet roll I needed. Smiling, I make idle chatter with people around the market place. Once the sun set, the fun was going to begin.