Soulmate

At the 17th birthday everybody gets a soul-mark. It is the birth year of your soulmate as a tattoo on your right wrist.

Sam's POV

I open my eyes on my 17th birthday. I can't wait to see the year my soulmate is born in, but when I bring my right wrist to my eyes my stomach takes a double flip. In black I read the number 17 on my wrist. This just can't be real, I try to convince myself and take another look, but it didn't change. Quickly I do some maths. We have the year 1995, so it means if my soulmate was born in 1917 he or she would be 78 by now and if he or she will be born in 2017 I will be 56 when the person will get his soul-mark. Suddenly I feel the tears running down my cheeks.

It took some time, but I calm down and get over it. Not every person meet his soulmate. I live my life and form other bonds. But everything changes again when I meet Steve Rogers. Obviously he isn't my soulmate, because he was born in 1918, but I see something in his eyes when he discovers my soul-mark and asks about my birth-year.

Steve's POV

My heart skips a beat the first time I see Sam's soul-mark. 17, the year Bucky was born in...I remember how exited he was to get his soul-mark, but then he discovered the number 78 on his wrist. He was so disappointed at the thought that it was a mistake, that he will never get to know his soulmate and he was right, he died before his soulmate was born. I decide that I won't tell Sam. There is no point in it, isn't it?

Time skip to Wakanda after CaatWS

Sam's POV

I'm watching Bucky in his Cyrocsleep. He seems so peaceful. My heart is aching for him, but why? I mean, he tried to kill me so many times, of course, I might be a little frightened, but it is impossible for him to be a threat right now. So, why is my heart still beating this fast? My eyes are wandering over his body and go to his right wrist. I don't know, why it is arranged like this, but I can clearly read the number. 78. My eyes go wide. The Winter Soldier? My soulmate? I can't believe it, but I'm feeling something for him. I will know when he is awake and our eyes will meet. If he is really my soulmate our numbers should change their colour to white.

But I didn't get him to look at me when he is awake. He simply refuses any eye contact, although I can feel him stare at me, but every time I turn to meet his gaze, he is looking away. Fine, if he doesn't want it, I don't need it! I lived so long without a soulmate, it doesn't really matter.

Time skip after the battle with Thanos

Sam's POV

Steve gave me the shield. But why? I don't want it, it feels like it belongs to someone else. Suddenly, I feel a familiar gaze hoovering over my back. I turn and see Bucky starring right into my eyes. I try to keep the eye contact, but he turns around and just leaves. Confused, I lower my eyes at my wrist and yelp in surprise the numbers really turned white.