Chapter 15 - When He Surprises Me

- Present -

| Charlotte |

"WHERE ARE WE going?" I asked through a smile as Dylan took hold of my hand and guided me out of the car.

"You'll love it. Trust me."

Trust me.

Those words echoed between us as he pulled me forward and it didn't take long for me to realize I did trust him. It had been a slow process. Every day he had pushed and prodded at my defences until they had finally crumbled faced against all the little reminders of what we had and what we could be.

"Careful with the steps." He warned.
One strong arm circled my waist and just the feeling of his warm frame against my side had me melting like butter on a hot pan.

I couldn't help my hand from reaching up to the fabric covering my eyes. Dylan caught up fast though and halted my movements. "Patience Angel, just follow my lead. I won't let you fall."

A smile curved my lips the whole way as he guided me past the front steps of the building and when the door closed behind us, the distinctive scent of old books prickled my nose.

I breathed in deep.

Silence reigned inside and our footsteps echoed between the walls as Dylan guided me, his hand burning against my lower back.

"Are we at the library?" I whispered.

He stopped for a second, letting go of my hand, before I felt him move in behind me, his hands coming up to cover my eyes.

"Don't peak."

His words, whispered softly against my ear sent a shiver through me. His chin grazed the crown of my hair and my heart leaped.

I followed his directions as he whispered them against my ear, five steps forward...turn left...careful with the step...turn right...

The whole time my legs shook.

Then we stopped.

"We're here."

I felt a tug and then the blindfold came loose.

I had to blink a few times before the room came into focus. Then my gaze fell on the only piece of furniture in the room and the breath whooshed from my lungs.

My feet took me forward, then I stopped. "Dylan-"

"Play for me, Angel?" I could hear the smile in his voice, but all I could focus on was the antique grand piano standing in front of me, luring me in.

"I didn't know this was here." My hands moved along the keys in a worshiping caress.

"It was brought in last year." He leaned against the body and gestured to the stool. "Came on, I know you must be dying inside."

I was.

I licked my dry lips and sat down, feeling his eyes on me. I run through my repertoire, searching for a song that fit the moment. "How did you manage to sneak us in?"