II. The Deal

"You're one of them." I spat. 

I could see it in the way that the shadows bent toward him, awaiting the command of their master. 

"You," he began, removing the dagger from my throat, "are a difficult one."

"Get out, Stygian." I spat the word as if it were poison on my tongue. 

"You haven't even heard my offer." 

"I don't need to."

He frowned and lifted his weight from me, sitting in the rickety chair beside the cot with a creak. 

"Yes, you will be much more difficult than I thought." He said more to himself than to me, "Tell me, little dove-"

"Don't call me that," I hissed, sitting up.

"Fine. Tell me, Kaira, do you have an interest in the blade of Nimueh?"

"I-" I stopped short. That name was something that had once filled me with curiosity and wonder. But now it held only stale memories and broken promises. "I want nothing to do with it."

"Ah, so you do know it," he purred. "Well, if you help me with something very urgent, the blade is yours."

The stranger spoke as if he had not just had a dagger to my throat. "You want my help after you just threatened me?"

"Well-" he shrugged "-that is why I am here."

"And what makes you think I want the blade of Nimueh?" 

"Just a hunch." He brushed invisible dust from his sleeve before looking up. "It is a piece of the legend of your kind, after all." 

"How-" I began, heart racing, "do you know what I am?"

"As I have said, I know more than you think. Now do you want the deal or not?"

"No." I got to my feet, squaring my shoulders. "Now leave."

His golden eyes filled with amusement as he rose from the chair, towering over me. 

"You amuse me," he whispered, his eyes searching my features.

"I am not your play thing," I scoffed.

"No," he shook his head, black curls bouncing. "But it seems that I have become yours."

His eyes were liquid fire, each flame dragging me further into a trance. How could someone who commands shadow be filled with so much light?

"It's a shame, really," he started. "Gaius would have wanted it this way though. Ever the peace keeper."

"What did you just say?" My throat tightened, the fog clearing from my head. Somewhere deep within me, a dull ache throbbed anew. 

"It was nice to finally meet you, little dove. Although, I have looked for you for quite some time. Shame this didn't work out." He fastened his cloak over his shoulders, pulling the hood up and turning toward the door.

"Wait," I breathed. 

"Yes?" He turned to me, a knowing look on his face. The bastard. 

"How do you- did you know him?" That was impossible. Gaius had been grey and old, and had died fifteen years ago. This man could not have been over thirty now. 

"I did, briefly." Seeing my confused look, he clarified, "Stygian tend to live longer. Mortals are so weak. You have the life expectancy of a fly."

"And I don't suppose it was you who killed him?" I ground my teeth so hard that I believed they would fall out.

"If it is information that you want, Kaira," he cocked his head to one side, a predator threatening his prey. "You need only take the job."

"Which is?"

His lips turned upward, pleased. 

"I am in need of a spy. A mole. My eyes and ears," he said. "Stygians know the ways of their own, but not a Mortal." He paused, adding, "Especially one with the skills of an assassin such as you."

"I will not fight against my own people."

"You will find that I am not on the side of the Stygian," he mused. 

"But you are one."

"Yes, but that does not mean I think like one." He blew out a breath and glanced toward the fire, "I want an end to this war just as badly as you do, little dove. And I would not be here if it meant that I didn't think you could help."

An end? To this war? And what Stygian would want that? They were a brutal death-loving kind that delighted in the suffering of others.

"For how long?" I asked. 

"Until your usefulness has run its course." 

"That's not an answer."

"Can one ever truly know the end or beginning of something?" He furrowed his brow, his stare intense. 

"And if I do it-" I took a step forward "-you will tell me what you know about Gaius?"

"You would risk your life for information on an old mentor?" he said, something like amusement raising his brows. 

"Different things have different meanings to others." 

"Hm... very well. I will tell you what I know, in exchange for three months of your services."

"Three months?" 

"Yes, little dove. Three months, and then you are free." He spoke softly now, awaiting my answer.

"Fine." I breathed deeply. "You have a deal."

"You have made the right choice, Kaira," he purred, his hood concealing his eyes in shadow.

The stranger grinned devilishly, and in the firelight, I could have sworn his shadow looked like a raven.