XXI. The Journey

The pack on my shoulders felt heavier than I would have liked. 

Standing in the center of The Fort by the basin, I watched as Lex said his goodbyes to old friends and mentors. It was then that I realized just how well he fit in here; it was if this place were an extension of himself, a missing piece to the puzzle of who he was. 

"Don't forget to bypass the edge of the Shadow Pass. You're to go straight to Blackbeak Bay, where you'll find passage on a ship that will take you safely into Mortal Lands," Ciel reminded.

"Yes, yes. We are well aware. You worry about yourself and Lex," Saskia said, her dark features cast in a honey glow by the morning sun. Ciel looked at her then with more emotion than I could ever recall seeing him show. I almost felt as though I had to look away. 

"Just... be safe," he told his sister, who in turn gave a curt nod before looking away. 

Ash sighed and yawned yet again. His scar stood in contrast against his almost childish looking face, and it made me wonder just how many times this group had to do this in their many years of life: to part without certainty of meeting again. 

Finally, Lex made his way over to the rest of us. His raven curls were in disarray and although bright, his eyes shone a sort of exhaustion that we all echoed. None of us had slept well, and I doubted we would for a long time. 

"Do you have everything?" Lex asked, looking at each of us and our full packs. 

We nodded. No one said a word, and but for the wind and trickle of water, all was quiet. 

"I'm going to miss this," Ash said. "I've grown accustomed to the five of us together." His face stretched into a bright smile, "and I've quite enjoyed it." 

I couldn't help the genuine smile that spread across my own features. "Me too."

Lex smirked at me; his way of saying he was right and I had been wrong. I scowled back at him. 

"We will meet again," Lex began. "The sooner we accomplish what we've come for, the sooner we can go home."

Home. 

When the word was said, I pictured a gated city, sprinkled with buildings of golden rooves on the edge of the sea, a great tower of ebony stone high above. After just two months, had I really grown so accustomed to this life? I hadn't known a time when I could truly call a place home. And now, my contract had only a month to go. 

"Kaira?" I felt a hand at the small of my back and found Lex beside me, the others engaged in conversation. 

"Sorry. Just have a lot on my mind," I said. 

He nodded. 

"Ash is going to teach you how to contact me while we are apart. It may take you some time to get it, but I believe you can do it." He smiled down at me and I suddenly felt very far from him, as though there was a tear between us that blackened and grew by the moment. 

"Lex?" 

"Little Dove?"

"I think I'm going to miss you." 

Lex barked a laugh and pulled me to him, his embrace ridding some of the tension from my body. "I should hope so," he murmured. 

Placing a kiss to my temple, he pulled back. For our goodbye was not to be had. 

It was something understood between us, that in some way, somehow, we were unable to. I couldn't quite tell if it was because our paths had become so thoroughly intertwined that no matter where I went, a piece of Lex went there too. Or perhaps, we had never been apart to begin with.