Chapter nine - Countdown

"Marinette Dupain-Cheng is Paris's own heroin, Ladybug." His eyes widened, and he took a small step back away from the T.V. Marinette is Ladybug? No. That's not possible. Adrien had known her for years, there was no way. He would have seen the similarities between them. Although... Same lips, hair, eyes, voice. Same.... Oh what an idiot! This entire time it had been her. The quiet seamstress that sat behind him in class was the love of his life? She was Ladybug. His Ladybug, but how, though? How had he not noticed her? Was he so hung up on the masked hero that he completely forgot that there was a person under the mask?

Marinette just fell back onto the couch, her face blank and lifeless. She seemed so calm but no one could tell what was going on inside her head. Her breathing was shallow and her eyes started to get misty. Adrien couldn't even think of something to say, it had been her the whole time? Wait. No. Lila was a liar. Adrien knew this. He couldn't believe a single word out of that girl's mouth. Even if it made a lot of sense, and had a lot of evidence behind it, but that's what Lila was best at. Lying, she could get anything she wanted, and still make it seem like she's the victim.

Marinette planted her head in her palms and shook her head. He heard a few hushed sobs escape her as she shook in her seat uncontrollably. He saw a tear drop fall from her eyes onto the carpeted floor. It truly broke his heart. "Marinette?" He lulled as he sat down next to her, placing his hand in her back. "Is it true?" He knew he probably shouldn't bring it up but his curiosity was eating away at him. "Are you Ladybug?" She sighed and dropped her hands. Her eyes were red and her face flushed. She struggled to blink back tears as she spoke softly under her breath. 

 "Oh my gosh, what is Cat Noir going to think about all of this?" Adrien perked up at the sound of his alter ego's name. Was it really her?

Marinette just sat there for a moment in her prison uniform as she cried silent tears. The tv switched from the commercials back to the news report. 

 "This just in, our hero, Ladybug, is a criminal, and terrorist." Nadja said with wide eyes. The live audience gasped at the news. Adrien muted the television, not wanting to upset Marinette any more that she already was. He placed a hand on her shoulder, trying his best to comfort her. 

 "Look," He muttered, trying to think of the right words to say. "I know Lila's a pathological liar, if you say it's not true I'll believe you. I always have, and I always will."

She wiped her tears with the heel of her palm and whispered two small words that were going to change everything. 

 "It's true." 

 "What?" Adrien questioned. 

 "It's true." She answered a bit louder. "I'm Ladybug." She muttered, albeit defeated. Adrien's head spun with every moment he spent with Ladybug and how the entire time it had been Marinette. The quiet soon to be designer who always acted strange around the tall blond boy... was his lady, and she came to him, because she knew he was the only one who would believe her. She was even doubting whether her very own partner believed her or not. He couldn't even imagine what state of fear she was in right now.

"Oh what is cat gonna think?" Her voice shook as she spoke. Adrien wrapped his arms around her and held her tight. Her body was tense but she slowly eased into his touch and cradled her head on his chest. Adrien had no idea what to say to her. For the first time in his life he was speechless. Usually he would just say a cheesy pun but this was different. He knew who she was. He always worried that maybe it was just the mystery he was attracted to. It was just the curiosity of who she was that enticed him, but no. He loved her in both forms, but he can't tell her that now.

As he held the frightened girl, he slowly stroked her hair and rested his chin on her head. Marinette's breathing slowed and synchronized with Adrien's. They sat there for almost an hour, neither of them saying a word. Neither of them knew what to say. Marinette was still on edge from everything that had happened that day and on top of that she was cuddling on the couch with the boy she had been in love with since high school. Adrien on the other hand was still in shock and was unsure about how to comfort her.

After a while they both started to drift off to sleep in each other's arms. Suddenly a loud knock on the door shocked them both awake. "Police open up!" A voice yelled from the other side of the wall. They both force. Another loud knock. 

 "What do we do?" Marinette asked. 

 "I-" Adrien was cut off by the police pounding on his door once again. 

 "You have ten seconds. Ten... Nine... Eight... Seven... Six... Five... Four... Three... Two...One." And the door swung open.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Word count: 893 (not counting this)