Chapter twelve - Don't Jump

Adrien had woken up to an empty motel room. He called out for Marinette, but she was nowhere to be seen, she had left a note but that didn't stop Adrien from worrying. His stomach was in knots and his shoulders were tense. He tried to ignore his negative thoughts, but he feared the worst. Marinette knew what would happen if she was found and she wasn't stupid enough to risk her safely to go out for a walk. She was smarter than that.

Adrien didn't know when exactly Marinette had left but it was getting darker by the moment. The sky was covered in a grey fog. It had snowed a bit when Adrien had fallen asleep. The ground was covered in a thin sheet of white and tree branches danced in the wind. He could see footsteps piled up on each other, but the snow was falling faster each second that went by, and it was covering them up. If he had stayed awake he would have seen her leave, and he could've stopped her or went with her to keep her safe, even if she never saw him leave, he doesn't want her to be alone, not at a time like this. They're a team, and it's his job to protect her, it always was, and that didn't change now.

Adrien was startled out of his panicking thoughts by the sound of his phone vibrating. An unknown number had flashed across the screen. He winced at the brightness before turning it down. For a moment Adrien hesitated but he had not been linked to Marinette yet so he assumed he was safe. "Hello?" He asked cautiously, not wanting to draw any attention to himself even though he was alone in the room.

"Adrien?" A hopeful voice said over the phone. 

 "Marinette?" He cried out. Adrien tried to hide the worry in his voice but wasn't doing a very good job. 

 "Oh, Adrien." Marinette sighed, it was clear that she was almost on the verge of tears. 

 "Mari where are you?" The blonde was pacing around the room frantically at this point. He kept sneaking peeks out the window, looking at every inch of the city. This may have been a small building, but it had an amazing view of the city, he could see everything. Well, everything but her that is.

"I'm at 10th street. Please, Adrien I need you to come and fast. I'm almost out of time." The sapphire eyed girl said through her shaky breaths. 

 "What? Marinette what's wrong? Tell me, what is going on?" Adrien only grew more and more worried.

"Just come." Marinette pleaded, ignoring his unending set of questions. 

 "Okay, I'll be there soon," Adrien calmly reassured her, trying his best to calm her down, even though he knew it was useless, especially since his nerves were off the chart. 

 "Hurry." Was all Marinette said before she dropped the call. He didn't hesitate and immediately ran out of the room. Running past the elevator and down the stairs, he quickly checked out of his room and ran out the sliding doors.

It was cold and the wind was crisp and bitter. He had lost his coat and assumed Marinette had taken it when she left, that didn't matter though, he just wanted to see her safe. The wind bit into his skin as he ran but he ignored it. He sprinted about five blocks before finally hailing down a taxi. "10th street please," Adrien said as he caught his breath. The cabi sensed Adrien's rush and got there rather quickly.

As soon as they arrived at their destination Adrien flung himself out of the car. He wasn't exactly sure where he was. He paid the cabi, he noticed he was missing a few euros from his wallet but didn't pay it any mind. Once the driver left, Adrien's eyes darted across the street, searching for where the blunette could be. He felt his phone vibrate in his pocket once again, the same unknown number illuminated the screen. Adrien answered without a second thought. "Marinette?" He questioned, he could hear her trembling with fear on the other end. "Marinette where are you? Mari?"