Chapter 21 - Cut

After I feel Enzo carry me to my own bed in the morning to sleep in after he leaves, I dream of only his face. So vividly that it almost appears real. Every line, every freckle, every curve of every feature is on display behind my eyelids, making me grin in my sleep. I don't know how in such little time, I have already become so attached that I dream of him. But here we are. And I love it.

I reluctantly wake up two hours later and stretch out across the bed. Unfortunately, I realize, the dream wasn't real.

After I shower and shave, I put on one of the many sundresses in the closet. A longer one just past my knee that looks as if it jean material, but is more cotton and loose. It cinches at my waist, highlighting my curves. Not my usual style, but I like it. It's perfect for my plans. I slip on white flats and head out of the room.

"Hello, Zachary." I smile knowingly at the usual guard outside my door as I leave my room. He's one of the very select few that I don't think hate me.

His cheeks flush for a tiny second, knowing I noticed him checking me out, but he quickly recovers.

"Good morning, ma'am." He nods politely, averting his eyes down to his shoes, and I chuckle, passing him to go downstairs.

"You can find something else to do, Zachary. I will be outside all day." I call back to him and he agrees. "Have someone get me when he returns." I add and I know he knows who I mean.

I keep my chin high as I walk past Enzo's men around the house. Most of them give me a dirty look, disgusted with the stripper in their boss' bed. Some avoid all glances altogether, probably embarrassed that they know I have seen them before at the club. I haven't seen any yet that were my customers, though, thankfully. None are important or high up enough for that. I'm glad. Enzo would lose his mind knowing I was sleeping under the same roof as one of them.

I slip out the back door and water the garden, checking on everything I planted the past few days. Everything looks good. I can almost see some of the seeds sprouting, but that may be my imagination. It is much too early for that.

Daria brings me lunch outside to the patio - a chicken salad I asked for.

"Eat with me," I hold my hand out towards the chair in front of me and smile. She smiles warmly at me and nods, going to retrieve her own food.

She returns after a minute with her own salad and sits across from me.

"It's a beautiful day today." I grin as I stab at the salad with my fork. It looks delicious.

"It is." She agrees and then chews silently.

I take the opportunity alone with her outside to quiz her.

"How long have you worked for Enzo, again?"

She looks up and smiles fondly, like she is reliving an old memory in her mind. "Since he was a child. 11, I think. His younger brother was 7 I believe."

"Brother!" I repeat. "He never mentioned him."

Daria smiles and rolls her eyes just a tiny bit. "That doesn't surprise me. They bicker a lot. Leo lives in Italy right now, travelling. Not very much involved around here recently." I guess that explains it... he wasn't really relevant to bring up. Although it's still a little strange to me that we discussed Tony's family in far more detail than his own. But, I let it go for now.

"Tell me about Enzo as a kid. I can't picture it." I smile and then take a bite.

"He was a sweet, but challenging boy to be honest. It's hard being so young in this world." She says with a sadness or pity that makes me want to change the topic for her sake.