Chapter 40 - Lied

****Trigger warning - don't want to give too much away but there is a potential sexual assault threat detailed in this chapter. Do not read if this is a trigger for you. You can skip to the next chapter without missing too much plot****

[Cat's POV]

When I wake up the next day, I don't hear or feel Enzo beside me and my eyes snap open. They land on a small piece of paper on the pillow beside me with writing on it.

Had to leave early. See you at dinner, princess. - E

I sigh as I put the note down on the sheets on his side and turn to get out of bed.

After I get ready and dressed in black leggings and a black sports bra under my loose grey zip up hoodie, I open my bedroom door.

"Ma'am, Danny was looking for you." Zachary says as I walk out and smile hello to him. "I told him you were busy." He nods once, looking down at his feet.

"Thanks, Zach." I place my hand lightly on his arm for a second in thanks. He looks back up to me with a small smile.

He's a nice kid. Maybe 22ish. He looks older with his dark features and height, but his youth comes out when he smiles. He's smart too - he picks up on things without being told I've noticed - like my reluctance to talk to Danny after his stupid comments yesterday. I'm thankful Zach turned him away at the door. I don't feel like dealing with that shit today.

"Ask Anthony for something else to do today, okay?" I tell him before descending the stairs. "I'm going to be in the basement until Enzo gets back. You don't need to stand there."

"Okay, thank you." He replies in his usual polite tone.

I enjoy our brief encounters. He's a nice change from basically everyone else here who either hate me or avoid me since the dinner - or both.

I go down to the basement and take off my sweater to train. I stay for hours - throwing knives at targets, boxing, doing everything I can to prep for next weekend. I need to be 100% ready when that night comes.

When I feel my muscles get too sore to continue, I check the time on my watch.

4:30pm.

Perfect. If I go upstairs now, I can probably have dinner ready for Enzo when he gets back from wherever he went.

Once I shower and change into a short black dress, I go to the kitchen to send the staff home so I can cook. They leave eagerly, probably to get home to have dinner with their own families, which I don't mind. I would rather cook anyways. I still haven't gotten used to the chefs and service here.

I'm reaching into the fridge when I hear feet scuffle behind me, entering the kitchen. They are too heavy to be Enzo, though. It doesn't make me nervous, per say, but my gut says something is off even before I see who it is.

I pull the chicken out of the fridge and turn around, closing it behind me. My eyes land on the man I threw the knife into last week - Russell, I think they called him. I recognize his face. His shoulder bandage is under his shirt if he has one, but he doesn't look like he does. Maybe it healed by now...

He stares at me as he walks closer, a lopsided smirk growing on his ugly face.

Why is he smirking?

"Can I help you?" I say with a thin smile as he reaches the island two feet away from me.

"You sure can." He mumbles as his eyes rake over me head to toe. I don't like the sound of his voice right now, something about it is off. Nothing about this feels right.