Chapter Four

The Christmas party was really fun and next up was New Year! The plan was to have another party at the barn. I had a good lesson and went for a trail ride afterward.

 It was time! Leo helped me set up streamers by lifting me up onto his shoulders so I could hang them up. Once all the decorations were hung up it was almost seven a clock. Soon our friends would get here! Before they came here though, I walked over to my house and put on a light blue sweater, ripped jeans, some jewelry, and my Nike Airforce sneakers. My hair was in two french braids and I took it out so that it was wavy. I was ready!

When I got to the barn everyone was arriving. I saw Leo and ran over to him. "Hi!" I said.

"Hey", he responded. We talked about horses, had some snacks, pet the horses and eventually, it was almost midnight!! 

At around 12:50 am somebody turned on the tv in the lounge room. We all scrambled to get in to watch the ball drop. Only one minute left! I was about to head in but Leo grabbed my hand. There were thirty seconds left! He pulled me outside, away from everyone. Ten seconds! He looked me in the eye. Five, four, three, two, one! And you know what he did? He kissed me! Our lips collided and we stood there under the cold December night as fireworks went off above our head.

He pulled back and looked me in the eyes. "Happy New Year Winnie." Then we walked into the barn my hand in his.