Chapter Seven

We galloped along the field and eventually, I brought him back to a walk. I leaned forward and wrapped my arms around his soft neck. I dismounted and stroked his silky muzzle. I felt a tear roll down my face. I took the bridle off "Go, boy. She can't sell you. You have to go!" I expected him to run away but he stayed by my side. I took a deep breath. The rain streamed down on me, soaking my clothes. What have I done. I didn't know which way was home. I sat down in the field and Ace lowered his head down to start grazing. Eventually, I drifted off to sleep...

  When I woke up the sun started to rise up above the mountains.  Ace slowly opened his eyes and shook off the dirt from last night. "I don't know where we are Ace!" I exclaimed, starting to worry. He started grazing and I realized I was hungry too. I started walking and I still had on my clothes from the day before. A baby blue long sleeve shirt, light gray riding tights, and my black tall boots. My hair was still in a ponytail and I fixed it up quickly.

I couldn't find the bridle I had used, but it was a cheap one anyway. I set off hoping he would follow me. The grass gleamed with the morning dew. I took a deep breath of the fresh April air and looked around. I soon realized that my feet were starting to hurt. No wonder, they were stuck in riding boots. I looked up at Ace's back and thought. I found a tree stump and scrambled onto him. He wasn't tall, but not that short either. About 15.3 hands. He ambled along the tall grass in what direction I thought was home.

 The whole time Ace was walking relaxed, but all of a sudden his ears pricked up, and he lifted his head up. I thought I heard a horse galloping but I wasn't sure. Wait! I saw a horse galloping up over a hill and it had a rider! When the horse and rider got closer I figured out it was Amber and Leo!

"Winnie!" he exclaimed as he dismounted and ran towards me. I hopped off and ran over to him. He wrapped his arms around me and hugged me. "You were looking for me?" I asked. "Yeah. after I realized you weren't at the barn today and neither was Ace." Leo put on a halter and lead rope for me to use on Ace and I hopped back on. He steered Amber back and the palomino paint broke out into a trot. I couldn't wait to get home and take a shower. 

As we set off back home I realized I had been selfish. I was the one with a problem and I took Ace with me?! My mom was probably right. He would be sold to someone else. Someone who can actually take care of him.