Chapter 8

Katniss P.O.V.

Run. That's my first impulse. But I decide to stay there so I don't make matters worse.

"I don't know what to say," Mom says.

"I should've told you sooner," I say. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay," she says gently. "How long have you two been married?" She asks.

"Three months," I say. We sit there in silence for a moment. I'm surprised when Mom hugs me.

"I'm so proud of you," she whispers.

"Really?" I ask. She nods her head. "You're not mad?" I ask, really surprised.

"You've really grown up since the first Games. I'm so happy for you," she says. "Better to start young anyways," she says smiling.

"We were afraid that you'd be mad," I say.

"No," she says as she stands up. "Now the next question is when am I going to be a grandmother?" She asks. I just smile. She looks at me. "You are going to have kids, right?" She asks.

"Yeah," I reply as I stand up. "We just haven't talked about it a lot yet," I say. "Probably right after I get back to District 12," I say smiling.

"Sounds like a plan," Mom says smiling. "Well, it's getting late. Do you want anything to eat?" She asks.

"No," I say. "Thank you though. I'm going to go on to bed. The trip must've taken it out of me," I say.

"All right," Mom says. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight," I say as I walk toward the guest bedroom.

It's either real late at night or really early in the morning when Mom wakes me up.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"The train isn't going to make any more stops in District 12 until further notice," she says frantically. "The train will be here in a few minutes so if you want to get back to Peeta soon, you better go," she says. "I'll send you your luggage once they open travel to District 12 back up."

I don't understand everything, but I still take off running towards the train station. When I get there, I'm too late. The train's already too far away for me to catch up. I stand there trying to catch my breath for a second. The tears start running down my cheeks. "Peeta," I whisper. I walk back to Mom's house. When I walk through the door, she gives me a sad look.

"Are you okay?" She asks.

"Yeah," I reply. "I tried," I say.

"Come sit down," Mom says as we sit on two different couches. I sit there for a moment talking with Mom when I start feeling queasy.

"Hang on," I say as I jump up and run to the bathroom. When I come back, I flop back down on the couch.

"Are you okay?" Mom asks me.

"Yeah," I reply. "So why is the train not stopping in District 12 until further notice?"

"I don't know," she says. "All I know is that President Paylor came on the television somewhere around three and said anybody who needs to get to District 12 better hurry because the train is going to make a quick run through each District. She then proceeded to say all transportation will be cut off from District 12 until further notice. Something about remodeling 12 and the train won't be able to run through it with all the mess and debris." Mom's words brings tears to my eyes.

I put my head in my hands and sob. "Did Paylor give my hint as to how long it will take?" I ask.

"No," Mom replies. "I'm sorry, Katniss. I woke you up as soon as I could. I didn't know the train's visit would be that quick."