Fireflies: Morro

-i was originally writing this on a whim but saw a request and was like, okay this fits PERFECTLY for that request, so here ya go
-okay don't judge me but I think Morro's cool
-banc is some random guy i made up just now lmaooo
-you're an elemental master and Morro's childhood friend because yeahhhh

Summary: Humans are insignificant, tiny beings. Your time is drawing near and you're sure your life was a waste.

Dreams were powerful. They became the very thing that drove people to the edge. But they were also the very thing that drove people forward, and taught them to keep looking up in the dark. When you were young, you used to wish upon a star. You used to lay awake at night, staring at the ceiling in thought.

Now, you couldn't. Your breaths began to slow, your eyes fluttered open and closed. This was the final blow. Your final stand. Was it really okay to be out here all alone? At least you had the stars and the moon to keep you company. They had lit your way and guided you to your target. If it weren't for those tiny little specks above, you wouldn't have completed the stupid mission.

Sometimes you wondered if things could have been different. Before you left the monastery, you should have given Morro a tighter hug, a longer smile, a bigger laugh. You should have told your sensei how much you adored having him around, how much you admired and respected him for what he did. You should have sent another letter to Garmadon and written about how boring it was without having him around.

There were so many things left unsaid. Unwritten. Forgotten. Why didn't you cling tighter to them?

"(Y/n)!"

Your breath hitched. Was that...?

"(Y/N)!"

You let out a strangled wheeze. "M-Morro..." The grass parted around you and swished with the breeze. He collapsed by your side, heaving and mumbling under his breath. "What happened?" he demanded. "Where were you?! We captured that guy, but then you just disappeared!" Morro didn't even try to hide the fear in his voice as he ripped his sleeve and tied it around your wounds.

The man you were trying to catch was a serial killer. You thought he was some lowly idiot, but it turned out he had an entourage of killing machines. He experimented on them, and that gave them abilities no normal people should possessed. "Morro..." You winced. "Leave. That guy, he...he has these people who..."

"Just shut up." His was holding back tears. "You aren't dying on me, and even if that guy had backup, you bet Sensei won't have trouble taking them out. I'm bringing you home, so don't you dare sleep on me." You intertwined your bloody hand with his. "Morro, please. Go." He clenched his teeth.

"No!" His voice came out harsh, but you knew it was good-natured. "I'm not leaving you! Not again." You turned to stare at the starry sky. What was Morro referring to? Whatever it was felt like so long ago–or was that just your hazy memory? No, you had incredible memory.

"(Y/n), stay awake!"

You were sleepy. The stars were beginning to fade, along with Morro's beautiful eyes glazed over with tears. Fireflies rose from the grass, fluttering past your view in little specks of light. You wondered what it felt like to be so free and insignificant. They had no responsibilities, no nothing save for living.

What did that feel like?

"Hey..." you whispered. "Remember that time you...helped me up...after I...after I scraped my knee?" Morro squeezed your hand, but it was like he hadn't at all. Your limbs were numb in pain.

"What are you talking about?" he demanded. "Save your strength–"

You laughed and it was melancholy and broken and sad and all the things Morro wished he never heard. This wasn't you. It wasn't what he wanted for you. The sky was blurring in a mix of pale moonlight and scattered dots of stars. You thought back to that day, the one where you had scrapped your knee.