Cole: Stormy Weather

-requested like four months ago but never finished it till now

Thunder. It was a beautiful sound that boomed across the sky right after lightning. It filled your bones with that intense electrifying tingle, a euphoric dizziness, and a sense of freedom. None of these came easy for you when you were out of the storm, so that's why you loved to sit in the rain, watching the droplets hit your face and the lightning strike across the sky.

But the true highlight of each storm was the thunder. The sound.

"You should really come inside (Y/n)." said Cole. "You might catch a cold." You wiped a bit of water from your eyes and grinned at him through the rain. It was pouring, and you soaked to the bone. Your clothes glued themselves to your skin while your hair seemed to be a river itself. If you weren't the Master of Storms, you knew would have been the Master of Water.

"It's okay." you cheerily said. "Today's a beautiful day, and it's not all the time we get this type of weather." Cole remained in the cover of the Monastery's tiled roofing, fiddling with a fluffy (f/c) towel. "But I don't want you to get sick--and dinner's already done. Zane made noodle soup."

The mention of food made your stomach growl. You placed a hand over it, giving it a good rub. As much as you wanted to stay outside, food was the better option. You had skipped lunch to stay outside all day, and now that came to bite you in the back. A sigh escaped your lips. "I'm so hungry."

You spared the sky one last look. As if knowing you would go, a strike of lightning hit the sky with a boom of thunder after. Farewell for now, you thought. When you made your way under the tiled roofing, Cole practically shoved the towel in your hands. His cheeks were bright red, and it was then that you finally understood why he had been so insistent.

"Oh." A snort left your lips. "Never seen a bra before?" Cole kept his gaze towards the floor. "Uh..." You placed a cold hand on his steaming cheek and brought his gaze to meet yours. Even from here, you heard his thumping heart beating as loudly as the booming thunder. Your heart was beating too. Like the storm.

Cole's dark eyes swirled with curiosity and a warmth you knew was only reserved for you. You softly smiled.

Thump.

Thump, thump.

Thump, thump, thump...

"Am I interrupting something?"

You jumped back two feet and retracted your hand as if you had been burned. Jay stood in the doorway with his hands on his hips. It was a silent warning, a silent 'don't you dare' to both you and Cole.

Jay wasn't always this protective of you. The only thing he ever wanted was for you to be happy, but that changed. When he and Nya drew closer, something happened off-screen. Jay wouldn't tell you what and neither would Nya. They acted like someone had died, or as if their secret could change the course of history. Whatever happened made him fear for you.

"Jay!" you loudly exclaimed. He raised an eyebrow suspiciously and glanced at Cole, then you, then your shirt and the towel, and finally, Cole again. "Come on," Jay finally said. "Dinner's done." He took you by the wrist and pulled you back inside. Cole stood in the threshold, wide-eyed and frozen.

Even though Jay was probably just scared for you, this was ridiculous. You were old enough to make your own decisions, or choose who you wanted to be with. This wasn't fair to you, and it certainly wasn't fair to Cole. A sigh escaped your lips, but you didn't say anything. One misstep could either make or break any of you and you weren't ready for that.

Dinner didn't feel quite the same today. Even after you took a hot shower and put on your favourite pair of pjs, something remained off. Perhaps it was the fact that you were all recovering from your recent battles, or the fact that there was no dessert left in the fridge and no tea in the pantry. Whatever the reason made you pick at your food and excuse yourself early.

You sat on the front porch with your back to one of the supporting beams. It was stormy today, with lightning and thunder as the rain poured and poured.

"Hey, (Y/n)." You turned to face Jay, who settled on a supporting beam not too far away. He kept his head down, and the little smile tried to force came out as a stormy grimace. There was a flash of lightning. A crackle of thunder.

"About earlier, I..." He heaved in a deep breath. "I was wrong. I really was and--and I don't want to get in the way of you and Cole because you never did that to me and Nya and--you're--you deserve the world. If there's anyone who can give you that, I know it's Cole."

There was a flash of lightning again. Then a crackle of thunder and he was gone. The door fell shut with a low tap as you sat there, eyes wide. The crackle of thunder and the flashes of lightning filled up the quiet darkness.

"(Y/n)!"

You stood and peered down the walkway. Cole sprinted towards you, eyes wide as he heaved in deep breaths to steady his racing heart. "Is Jay okay? He looked like he--"

You smiled and boldly planted a hand on Cole's shoulder. "My brother's fine. What's better is that he said I deserve the world and that 'if there's anyone who can give you that, I know it's Cole." You hadn't expected Jay to make his decision so quickly. Maybe being the Master of Lightning had to do with that, maybe Nya talked to him, or maybe Kai chipped in with a word or two of wisdom.

Whatever it was helped calm the stormy weather. The lightning finally ceased to strike the sky, and the loud claps of thunder calmed as the rain lightened to a steady drizzle. You ran a hand through Cole's fluffy hair and pecked him on the lips. "I guess the weather's finally cleared, hasn't it?"

"Y-yeah." Cole's cheeks were redder than a cherry. "It has."