Chapter Thirty-Six

Caleb Pierson's POV:

I flicked my hood up, looking down at my feet to make sure that my shoelaces were tied before tiptoeing toward the door of our hotel room. I slid my keycard into the pocket of my sweatshirt, reaching a hand forward and gingerly pushing on the door handle.

It made a click sound, and I quietly pulled it open. Bright light from the hallway flooded into our dark room, earning a tired groan from Andrew. We were sharing a room, which was making it much harder to sneak out than originally planned.

"Where are you going?" He mumbled, sitting up and squinting at the bright light.

"Nowhere," I whispered back. "Go back to sleep."

"Dude, I know you aren't dumb enough to slip out into New York City at night, right?" He asked, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

"Shut up man, I'll be fine. I just have to do something, I'm not going into the city anyway."

"Then where are you going?" He asked again.

"Goodnight, Andrew," I replied in a sing-song voice, stepping into the hallway and shutting the door behind me. I stood there for a moment, listening for noise inside the room, but there was nothing. Guess that means he won't be chasing me.

I quietly jogged over to the elevator, then turned toward the emergency fire-exit door and pushed it open, looking down the flights of stone stairs. I hopped down them leisurely until I reached the first floor. I pulled the door open carefully, sticking my head into the lobby of the hotel and glancing around for anyone familiar, but saw nothing.

The receptionist raised an eyebrow at me, but made no attempt to stop me from leaving as I waltzed toward the front doors. I pushed them open, taking one last look over my shoulder before heading toward the parking lot.

I pulled the car keys out of my pocket and pressed the unlock button, hearing the echoing click near the far end of the lot. I'd gotten a rental car as soon as we were given free time to roam the city. If I wanted to find out where Percy and Annabeth were going, I knew that I needed a method of transportation.

I slid into the driver's seat of the car, quietly shutting the door behind me. I cracked one of the windows open, just enough that I could hear what was going on outside, then sunk low into my seat.

A short while later, I saw Annabeth step into the lot, glancing around cautiously. Percy came out a minute later, whistling softly and scanning the parking lot.

"Remind me again why we couldn't stay with your mom? We drove all the way out to your house yesterday just to grab our things and leave again," Annabeth recalled as he walked up next to her.

"She's much further from camp than this hotel is. Besides, we never get to get away with each other without chasing some restless Titan or hunting down monsters. The hotel will be fun!" Percy rambled.

"Yeah, I guess it'd be too much to drive all that way every single day. I just miss her." Annabeth sighed.

"She misses you too, Wise Girl. I think she was more excited to see you walk through the door than she was me," Percy joked.

I did a double-take. Percy and Annabeth had been standing by a blank parking space only moments ago, but suddenly Percy's motorcycle had appeared out of thin air. The engine was humming excitedly. Percy patted the seat, and the headlights flickered on, like the bike had a life of its own. My forehead stung a little.

Percy picked up a helmet, plopping it onto Annabeth's heading lazily. "Gotta protect that brain of yours," he said matter-of-factly.

Annabeth rolled her eyes and laughed as she climbed onto the back of the motorcycle. "We've ridden much more dangerous things than Mrs. O'Leary, Seaweed Brain."

Percy shrugged, putting his own helmet on and following her onto the bike. "Safety first. Although, we have to ride her at regular speeds tonight, so maybe we don't need these. I felt bad after taking her cross-country in a day."

The motorcycle jumped to life, and the pair started slowly for the exit of the parking lot. I started my car, silently rejoicing over the quietness of the engine, before following them onto the street.

——————

We'd been driving for a little while now. We were headed onto a secluded road, which made me worry a bit, but I was in too deep now. Percy and Annabeth had given me no sign that they knew they were being followed, but I kept my distance just to be safe.

Finally, the motorcycle slowed to a stop. I parked a ways away from them, watching them hop off the bike and start off into the grass.

I furrowed my eyebrows, but followed them nonetheless. How far away had they parked from this camp? I couldn't see anything for miles.

Luckily, they were too engrossed in their own conversation to notice how much closer I'd gotten to them. I continued to look around for this "camp" they had been talking about. With how lively they made it seem, I would have definitely seen it by now if we were going the right way.

I got a familiar headache. The splitting pain made me squeeze my eyes shut, but I willed myself to avoid making any noise. This migraine felt just like the one I got when I first heard these two talking about "monsters" and "demigods." It's like my mind is at war with my eyes.

When the pain finally subsided a bit, I opened my eyes again. Percy and Annabeth were much further into the distance by now. Ahead of them was a large pine tree on a hill. Something glittered in its branches.

I let the pair walk past the tree before I got any closer. They seemed completely unfazed by the shimmering golden coat that was draped among the branches. Another stabbing pain arrived as I stared at the fleece.

Wait, golden fleece. Surely this couldn't be the Golden Fleece?

I'd only read about it briefly for a Greek assignment ages ago, but there was no doubt about it; this was the Golden Fleece from the myths. I reached an arm up to try and touch it, but another burning sensation met my temple, causing me to yank my arm away.

That's what these headaches must be... It's pretty obvious that I'm not supposed to be here. I don't belong in a world of monsters, demigods, and the real Golden Fleece. I was right; my mind really is at war with my eyes. I shouldn't be able to see this, but discovering the existence of Greek myths must have opened my eyes somehow.

People have been calling me crazy for weeks, but maybe I'm finally not crazy! I just need to prove it.

I glanced back up at the Fleece, pondering for a moment. If I were to take it back to the hotel, I could show Andrew or Jordan. Maybe I could open their eyes too...

I reached up toward the Fleece again, my fingers nearing the shining gold. I wrinkled my eyebrows, fighting against the headache as I lightly pushed my fingertip against the Fleece.

Surprisingly, I didn't burst into flames on the spot.

Okay, I'm not entirely sure how this stuff works, but I think that was a justified fear.

I took a deep breath, gaining the courage to reach up into the branches. Right before I was able to snatch the Fleece from the tree, my heart dropped into the pit of my stomach.

A low, menacing growl sounded behind me, following by a bone-chilling clattering sound.

————————————————

i want to give this story a legitimate ending, but i'm also kind of tempted to finish with a crack chapter where caleb gets hit by a bus and dies or something

also i'm curious, who's everyone's godly parent (or who do you think mine is ?)

5/17/21